168Berg Hunting VLD'S Bear Worthy???

Nice try elkoholic!!! Even if I cant kill bears with them, I can kill little rocks a long ways away..lol Right now these are the only bullets I have left. And Im not sure when I will see more of any bullets on the shelves around here... But I'll keep you in mind..
And its nice to hear you havnt had a bad experience with them..

Bullet choice is something we all need to do to suit how we want them to perform. The same bullets that some like I quit using years ago and much prefer what I use today. No bullet is perfect at all distances, I use what I do because they destroy vitals, and at long range I still get expansion and exits. I choose my bullet performance for the long pokes, but they still give me one shot kills up close destroying vitals.

I would not have any issues using a 168 Berger for bear. But that is not what is important. What is important is that you choose what you have confidence in. Even if it is something I or someone else does not like.

Remember these 3 things.

No bullet is perfect at all distances and velocities.

Shot placement is king.

And, There is never a guarantee when hunting.

Jeff

Ps:
One other suggestion, and only a suggestion, would be to buy 1 box of Berger 168 VLD Match Targets. They will fly the same as your HVLD's but have a little thicker jacket that should control expansion better up close with your high velocity chambering.

Would it be okay to hunt with the target bullet vld?

I have, do and will in the future. Last season with the 215 Hybrid Target from my 300 win we took 19 big game animals from 200 yards to 1285. All data including terminal damage pic are here.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/

It's all about matching up velocity to bullet construction. Some higher velocity rifles like the slightly thicker jackets the "targets" have to offer. Especially at distances less than 600 yards.

Look at the results, and decide if the terminal performance is right for you.

Jeff

We're going to find out real soon in the 6.5 - 140 gr SAAMI hybrid target bullet. One of my sons got a 6.5 X 284 Norma factory rifle in a Savage LRH. The new hybrid design shoots under moa out to a tested 800 yds.

We gathered up half a truck load of old phone books, soaked them fully submerged in water overnight, duct taped bunches of them together, and then went to testing for penetration and expansion at various distances. We then compared his penetration and expansion by shooting my 280AI with 168 VLD hunting bullets that I have been using for years.

Bottom line results were I feel very comfortable with him now proceeding to use them on something with a hide. We shot into the front face of the phone books stacked on top of one another, the target bullets penetrated about 4" and then you could see where all hell broke loose. We retrieved all bullets, cleaned them up from all the pulp type paper residue, and they weighed up clean between 38 and 45 grains. I believe some of that was the fact that we did not keep track at what distance each was fired at. We just put them all in a sandwich bag and should have kept them sorted by distance fired.

It is way too soon at this point to even guess if these target bullets will perform as needed on live animals but I am confident enough with our testing to proceed. We've always done well on the black bears, so hopefully this year will be no exception and we intend to find out how that little 140 gr. 6.5 target bullet does on a Montana black bear.

Well with all of the positive oppinions im going to try the target VLD'S.. With that said
WHO HAS SOME???? I Have a box of 210 Hunters and 4 boxes of 168 hunters.. amy body want to trade some?
Or do you know who has some in stock for purchase??? Thanks in advance for any input..
Jesterg

Just a couple of days ago I seen a bear get rolled off the hill with a 7mm 180 target at 400 yards. I know that if the hunting opened up more it would not have been good. That bullet came undone in that bear.

After some real wrecks with both Barnes and Bergers, you will never see them on my reloading bench again. Do yourself and the wildlife a favor & stick with a good, proven boattail spitzer.
Kirk

I know it's not near as tough as a bear, but last month I shot a NZ Tahr at 500 yards in the rear as it feed away from me. The Tahr ran about 10 yards and expired! I was using a 7 mag with 180 VLD's traveling at 3056fps.

CATAHOULA, what was your problem with the Barnes? Not enough velocity for proper expansion?
I was starting to think that the good retention like barns claims they would work well..
Jesterg

I've been running a 140 hunting vld out of a 6.5-06 at 2870. Mountain goat, whitetail and antelope have all pretty much dropped. Now loading up 180 hunting vld in two different 7mms. I have some 168s also but the 8.5 and 9 twist barrels are shooting the 180s well. Only pushing them around 2830 to 2850. Quite confident I know what will happen when we hunt them in May and this fall.

Nice pics on the link with the 180 successes.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.