168 grain vld loads

What elevation are you at? Are those field tested numbers or with a calculator? I beginning to not trust these online ballistics calculators the more and more I use them...

this is my "field tested" drop chart I use for hunting. Look at my post above, with my target. I am 4895 asl shooting at 3040 fps.

You need a copy of EXBAL to use... It is a proven and trusted program with a great bullet bc index and factory load index.

I have shot this in out to 1150 yards at rocks and steel. Kills on antelope and deer at 732 yards and 840 yards.

not knocking you, just stating my data.

Start at equal muzzle energy

If you start the 140 accubond at equal muzzle energy as the Berger 168 VLD, then the Berger has less wind drift and more energy past 600 yds. Maybe for some reason you cann't get the Berger up to the same muzzle energy. For instance the magazine is too short so the bullet is too far back in the case. But my calculator says the Berger adds 100 yds to range for equal wind drift and 200 yds for equal retained energy at the 800-1000 yd mark.

I'm hoping to get the 168 to shoot in my 10 twist 7-08 AI. But haven't tried it yet.

Last edited:
Begers

The reason I switched was the wind drift period. I am dialing for everything and for vertical but wind bits in the butt. If you have to guess your wind drift the bergers give you a larger margin of error.

I switched after shooting Rock chucks in the wind. I was missing left then right all day tell i switched to the bergers. Sure it drifted, but I stopped missing by two inches.

Sorry for off topic.

I had a long throated 7rm with the begers seated to the neck junction.
Norma brass
Fed215m
Reloader 22 ( I will PM powder charge if wanted but it was way over max and WOULD NOT be safe in standard chamber).
3100FPS 27" barrel

Willys

Sendero Man what muzzle velocities are you plugging in for the 140's and the 168's? You should be able to run the 140's as least 200 fps faster than 168's. All the numbers I've run show the 140's to be flatter than the 168's out to 600 yards with the 168's having a slight edge in wind drift. After 600 is when the 168's start kick butt in drop and wind drift.

Sendero Man what muzzle velocities are you plugging in for the 140's and the 168's? You should be able to run the 140's as least 200 fps faster than 168's. All the numbers I've run show the 140's to be flatter than the 168's out to 600 yards with the 168's having a slight edge in wind drift. After 600 is when the 168's start kick butt in drop and wind drift.

3200 for 140
3040 for 168

I agree .... go look at my data in the post below my target.... Out past 450-500 the VLD starts shining over the 140

this is my "field tested" drop chart I use for hunting. Look at my post above, with my target. I am 4895 asl shooting at 3040 fps.

You need a copy of EXBAL to use... It is a proven and trusted program with a great bullet bc index and factory load index.

I have shot this in out to 1150 yards at rocks and steel. Kills on antelope and deer at 732 yards and 840 yards.

not knocking you, just stating my data.

I wasn't knocking you either, just stating the data I found. I believe field tested is WAY better then online calculators. I have both to try out in my 7mm Rem Mag so when I get them all dialed in I'll have some tested loads to post.

Why don't the 150 Sciroccos get more attention?

Last year I developed accurate loads with 168 Bergers @2960 fps and 160 Accubonds @3040 fps and discovered that neither of them could carry water to the 150 Sciroccos @ 3166 fps. The Sciroccos didn't shoot as well as the Accubonds but dropped 60" less at 1000 yds and shot better and bucked the wind better than the 168 Bergers with approximately the same amount of drop.

I like the Accubonds and the Bergers but feel that Sciroccos aren't given enough consideration. Give them a try. I often use 7RM loads to start in my 7WSM (due to a lack of data) so I have no reason to believe that the reverse wouldn't be true. My pet load is a Fed GM215M behind 62 grs of H4350 pushing on a 150 Scirocco.

Why don't the 150 Sciroccos get more attention?

Last year I developed accurate loads with 168 Bergers @2960 fps and 160 Accubonds @3040 fps and discovered that neither of them could carry water to the 150 Sciroccos @ 3166 fps. The Sciroccos didn't shoot as well as the Accubonds but dropped 60" less at 1000 yds and shot better and bucked the wind better than the 168 Bergers with approximately the same amount of drop.

I like the Accubonds and the Bergers but feel that Sciroccos aren't given enough consideration. Give them a try. I often use 7RM loads to start in my 7WSM (due to a lack of data) so I have no reason to believe that the reverse wouldn't be true. My pet load is a Fed GM215M behind 62 grs of H4350 pushing on a 150 Scirocco.

The 150 Sciroccos will not outperform the Berger....

It has a BC of .515 vs. a .643 of the Berger 168 VLD.

The 150 Sciroccos will not outperform the Berger....

It has a BC of .515 vs. a .643 of the Berger 168 VLD.

I'll not dispute the better BC of the Berger. My family started using Bergers for hunting last year and had excellent results. I'm only advocating that Sciroccos are great bullets and well worth a look. Very accurate, hard enough to penetrate on close shots and soft enough to deform on long shots. I think they're under- represented by long range shooters.

the 60 inches of drop difference is a little off.. 18 inches is more like it.

***ALL drops are at 1000 yards at 4500 asl ,10 mph 3 o'clock wind***

the 150 running 3166 fps drops 227.4 and drifts 56.6 inches

the 160 running 3040 fps drops 245.8 and drifts 57.8 inches

the 168 running 3040 fps drops 223.7 and drifts 45.6 inches

all run on EXBAL software.

vlds

I'll not dispute the better BC of the Berger. My family started using Bergers for hunting last year and had excellent results. I'm only advocating that Sciroccos are great bullets and well worth a look. Very accurate, hard enough to penetrate on close shots and soft enough to deform on long shots. I think they're under- represented by long range shooters.

I agree. I have learned from reading everyones posts is at those long ranges, a softer, more streamlined bullet is needed to get out there and touch them. I use sciroccos and barnes tsx 150s in my 308 win, but I am shooting less than 200 yards and I feel more comfortable with having weight retention. I have been shooting a lot to extend my effective range and once I get there, I will be using vlds.

Thanks to everyone for the great info and experiences past on to newbies like me.

7mmRM loads

Berger 168 VLD jammed into the lands
Win Brass
Fed215M
71.5 grns of Retumbo
3100FPS via 28" tube

Berger 168 VLD jammed into the lands
Win Brass
Fed215M
64.5 grns of RL19
3050FPS via 28" tube

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.