1500yd plus pdog results

I have been turning necks on my new wildcat 338 project cases and trying to round up all the necessary parts and pieces for the rifle. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I have also been on that Nevada mule deer hunt I told you about.
7 days in the Toiyabe wilderness area around the arc dome peak. No phones, no cars, no boss, and no stupid people!

I want to go back even though I hiked 36.4 miles in 5 days with a 40-58 pound pack on every step of the way and we averaged 7000 feet of elevation change daily too.

Yes, I am alive-barely.

Uncle B has been recovering from it as well so his fingers aren't quite ready to type yet! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
. We want to feel that we actually shot the animal, not just tapped the trigger.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a fine skill that should be developed of how to shoot accurately without touching your rifle (free recoil) and any benchrester will tell you it aint easy but it usually is more accurate-especially when shooting 10+ pound rifles at long range. Rest assured, it is STILL very piloted and can be goofed up just as bad as bear hugging your hunting rig can be. Remember, if your heartbeat moves your shot only fractions of an inch, it could make you miss your target at one mile by yards!

I do see however what you are trying to do. If you can do it with a bipod, you have definetly earned it my friend. that was not an option with the 52 pound MOAG! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

As for the bench, talk to 7mmrhb. He is the architect and engineer of that bad boy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I can definantly see what you are talking about with the MOAG GG, I guess you could test potential bipods strength by setting bags of concrete on them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In a year or so me and BJ are gonna go in halves on what will probably be a 338 Allen Mag and it will be similar to the MOAG. We will be wanting to use it off a bipod, unless we have changed our minds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

take it easy
steve

Guys...

52 lbs for a rifle... really... common.. how much fun is it to carry that thing anywhere to set up...

Have you ever lifted a 25 lb rifle? You do not need 50lbs+ to get to 1500 yards... it just simply isn't necessary.

Myself, Jerry Rice , and a few of his BR buddies took several PD's past 1500 yards with rifles that were used in the lt. gun 1K comps. A buddy of mine took a few approaching 1800 yards with such rifles.

as far as a bench, don't over think it. Here's the one I used to use it weighs about 45-55 lbs and has adjustable legs to level on any surface. We used it with the 15lb and undser rifles to nail above said prarie dogs.

you can succeed to 1500+ with a 20lb rifle. Free recoil or hard hold... just a bit - o - practice is all...

PA224559.jpg

PA224560.jpg

PA224561.jpg

Building a bench is nothing secret.. not rocket science just som ebasic carpentry skills...

I may even be willing to sell this as I don't use it anymore...

Ric,

My old man has some camp tables that he has had for years. Their construction is very similar to your bench. If my memory serves me correctly, they were fairly heavy.

I'm going to try modify one of them to make a bench. Those pics should help.

Thanks,
B.J.

COncrete would definetly test out the bi-pods alright! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

But seriously, I think the 338 allen mag on a 40 lb rifle or thereabouts would be plenty. 52 pounds is definetly nice for steadiness, but 40 would do it too. It is a 10x bigger difficulty going from 1500 to 2000 and every ounce helps. Take it from several guys who have been there and done that and don't just speculate about things or talk about things they haven't done like they are easy, you must be very steady! A good bench is a must, and so is several other key pieces-one of which is the Wild. How's it working for you guys anyway? Get it calibrated ok?

Just and idea for a heavy bench. If you take about 4-8 bags of lead shot and place it on the table it will force the legs into good contact with the ground it the table is structurally sound but just too light to be steady.

Sincalir has stolen my contraption idea BB and is now selling it if you want to move away from the bipod and add weigth to the gun. While it did not help my groups, my issues were a different than yours.

Bill

This bench is built from HEAVY 3/4" Fiber board and has 2 layers to it. I weighs about 60-70 lbs. They are held together by liquid nails and the bolts that hold the leg carriers on. Because the legs are infinitly adjustable and the wieght of the bench you are plenty steady for shots to 2000 yards with a reasonably heavy rifle. AS I said we had a guy who took PD's to 1800 yards with a Lt. Gun 1K BR rifle. So no specualtion here just didn't want to back up the bench 200 more yards cause it weight a bit. Albeit the 30 imp was dropping fast at that range. 15 lbs is a little light. But if you were to stay in the 20lb range and use a solid bench there won't be any issues. Once you have the stable platform and can get level with the adj. legs under you it is all technique after that.

Nice thing about this bench is that I could make it heavier or add a few more legs to make it steadier if need be.

The .338 project is still about a year out so we should have plenty of time to gather up ideas. As far as the Wilde goes, I think I've got it calibrated. All I did was calibrate it @ a known distance. I seem to be within 10-20 yds of the Swaro at distances over 1000 yds. I think it is just a lack of experience though, no that the instrument is not calibrated. How did you calibrate yours?

I think the tables my dad has weigh somewhere close to 50 lbs each. The legs are steel, not Al. I had thought of adding weight by gluing a piece of particle board on top and then cutting it out for a right handed shooter (I don't have any shooting buddies that mount a rifle backwards /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, jk GG). I can then take the fourth leg (the one on the cutout piece) and place it somewhere on the bench.

What would be the best way to add weight? What if I filled the legs full of shot? I've got access to all the shot I could possibly need.

I would go 3 layers on the top and 4-5 legs...to add stability. The legs have to be adjustable though. I'm not sure if adding weight in the legs would help or not. I guess it couldn't hurt. If you can drive to the area where you are going to set up then it shouldn't be a problem. If you have to carry the thing I'd make sure the legs are removable.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.