pdog hunt in some nice scenery

Discussion in 'Long Range Hunting & Shooting' started by goodgrouper, Apr 3, 2006.

1. goodgrouper

goodgrouper Well-Known Member

Uncle b, 7mmrhb and I had the opportunity to relieve a local rancher of some pdogs this weekend. It was great fun and we shot about 30 or 40 dogs. The gun list was 2 6br's, one 6br improved, a 222 rem, a 223 rem, a 22 hornet, and a 17 hmr.

Ranges were from about 150 to a tad over 925 yards. Could have shot to around 1 mile in this spot with such a nice view of the mounds.

We sat the bench up in this spot and stayed there all day:
    [​IMG]

Another view of the shooting spot:
    [​IMG]

And here is some pics of the local area they call the San Rafael Swell in central Utah. We went looking for a few desert bighorns after the pdog shoot but they were hiding and we never saw them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. OKbow87

OKbow87 Well-Known Member

That country is just plain beautiful. I really need to move out west somewhere....

3. lovdasnow

lovdasnow Well-Known Member

for being so dead and dry there it sure is beautiful!
    nice pics. sounds fun, I wish we had prairie dogs around here, you wanna mail me some babys and I'll plant them here... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. sierra22

sierra22 Well-Known Member

Goodgrouper, what tripods are you using for your spotting scopes?

I'm having problems finding a good enough tripod for my Swarovski. The problem I get is keeping the spotting scope FOV on target as I tighten the adjustments. I find most tripods too wobbly.

5. lerch

lerch <strong>SPONSOR</strong>

Nice looking pics GG

That is some awfully pretty land, even for being so arid. We are heading out this weekend to shot some pdogs, will post some pics but I am sure they wont be as pretty as yours

take it easy
    steve

6. Buffalobob

Buffalobob Writers Guild

Some really nice pictures. That was one of the great things about Utah, there were many different types of terrain and so many different things to do

7. Meister

Meister Well-Known Member

Beautiful spot, wish I was there to help. I could use a few reactionary targets to shoot. I'm ladder testing 2 rifles tomorrow that will go on a pdog hunt. Not my sticks, but their mine to work the loads for. Punching paper just isn't the same! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

8. goodgrouper

Thanks guys.

The tripods we use are made by Bogen. We also like their pistol gripped head for quick and easy aquisition of target. They are very sturdy.

9. uncleB

uncleB Well-Known Member

goodgrouper,
    you forgot to mention that we were really doing this to feed the starving golden eagle's of the area. firing a rifle was just like a dinner bell to them

[​IMG]

UB

10. uncleB

uncleB Well-Known Member

sierra22,
    actualy the tripods and heads are made by manfrotto of Italy and distributed by bogen they may have a different distributor where you live ,but they are worth checking out. the best IMO
    UB

11. lerch

I have been using a large Leup tripod and another made by Dynamix or something like that, its a photography equip company. I have had similiar problems with wind making the image in my 20-60 80mm Swaro shake.

GG and UncleB, what is the weight on you all's tripods??? Do you think a heavier one would dim down the vibrations or are we just screwed in a decent wind??

Thanks
    Steve

12. goodgrouper

Oh, I thought we were out there to watch 7mmrhb whack another poor, unsuspecting rodent at over 600 yards with his hornet again!! How far was it 7mm, 635?

Unreal! That hornet is only supposed to be a 150 yard gun according to D. Petzal you know. You had better call and tell him he was a bit off on his yardages!

13. goodgrouper

If there is enough wind, then nothing can keep it from shaking. Ours are good to about 7 mph before they get shaking. The tripods weigh around 6 pounds I would guess. Never really weighed them.

14. lerch

I saw some interview sometime with the RealTree guys video team. they said that for them to get a truly stable video platform they use a 30 something pound tripod. Now of course their video equipment weighs a lot more than the stuff we use but you have to strive for perfection.

I guess for now it doesnt matter cause for the life of me I cannot figure out how to video through my swaro spotter.

thanks for the info and again nice pics

steve