15 yr old boy shoots Elk at just under 1,000 yards

The 338 edge and Lapua are awesome guns...I have owned most calibers up to the edge and it just depends on what you wish to do and how you wish to hunt.

So, if you're talking about setting up across a canyon at say 800 to 1,000 yards, it's a great choice. The 300 smk bucks the wind really well. Most of my friends and some family members now shoot the edge. The 300 smk in this caliber is probably the most forgiving bullet I have ever loaded.

So, it goes back to what you are trying to do. If you are shooting only out to say 600 or 700 yards, I would not go with the edge. Im currently building a WSM necked to 7mm for that. This is one of Shawn's favorite smaller cartridges for a light gun that's more of an all day pack gun.

But after all these years, I have hunted most styles and shot game from as little as 10 feet to an average of 150 yards. But today the long range stuff (800-1,000 yards) really is addicting. It's more a family type of hunt and with me doping the wind for my kids and my brothers, they too can shoot long range. They don't have the training and experience doping the scope, but with me there, all they have to do is be steady and pull the trigger.

This gives them a chance to learn while they are taking game and at the same time, we don't risk the chance of a wounded animal.

Anyhow, back to the gun...you just need to define your objective and then work backwards with a gun that really suites your style of hunting. I will tell you that once you drop a game animal way out there past 800 yards, it becomes quite addicting. But if you're going to do this, you need to get trained and you need to practice. We practice a ton and it's alot of fun.....

cheers

And lastly as far as rating the caliber (338 edge)...Next to the Lapua, I believe this is one of the best caibers out there for long range. I must be careful here, cause there are alot of guys on here that have different calibers and I don't wish to tick someone off. The lapua is very close to the edge,,,I didn't go with the lapua cause the brass was more expensive.

Also, there are bigger calibers out there (ie 338/375 snipe tac) and Im building one as we speak. The snipe tac is a very big magnum that will shoot well past 2,500 yards, but it's gonna cost me a "big mac meal" everytime I pull the trigger. My defacto standard rifle will always be my edge.

cheers
zman

Thanks for the info . I have always liked LR shooting /hunting I have a 16 point white tail on my wall that I shot from 45 yards away I remeber it like it was yesterday . If I were your son I would feel every bit as greatful to have shot an Cow/Bull elk of any size at that distance. I'm hooked already just from seeing and reading about folks like you and your son. keep up the good work :)

BigBuck

I just wanted to comment on ease of reloading. between kelly, me and educ8r we have loaded from 86-92 grains of h-1000 and we have loaded from 90 thousands from the lands to "way into" the lands. The guns stayed under 1/2 moa no matter what we have done!

we never strayed from H-1000 or the 300 grain smk, but with this combo it seemed as if you couldnt load wrong for it!

with other rifles i have had to vary powder charge, or seating depth to make it shoot good, and with this gun we never had it shoot bad.

it is by far the most forgiving round i have ever seen.

The 338 edge and Lapua are awesome guns...I have owned most calibers up to the edge and it just depends on what you wish to do and how you wish to hunt.

So, if you're talking about setting up across a canyon at say 800 to 1,000 yards, it's a great choice. The 300 smk bucks the wind really well. Most of my friends and some family members now shoot the edge. The 300 smk in this caliber is probably the most forgiving bullet I have ever loaded.

So, it goes back to what you are trying to do. If you are shooting only out to say 600 or 700 yards, I would not go with the edge. Im currently building a WSM necked to 7mm for that. This is one of Shawn's favorite smaller cartridges for a light gun that's more of an all day pack gun.

But after all these years, I have hunted most styles and shot game from as little as 10 feet to an average of 150 yards. But today the long range stuff (800-1,000 yards) really is addicting. It's more a family type of hunt and with me doping the wind for my kids and my brothers, they too can shoot long range. They don't have the training and experience doping the scope, but with me there, all they have to do is be steady and pull the trigger.

This gives them a chance to learn while they are taking game and at the same time, we don't risk the chance of a wounded animal.

Anyhow, back to the gun...you just need to define your objective and then work backwards with a gun that really suites your style of hunting. I will tell you that once you drop a game animal way out there past 800 yards, it becomes quite addicting. But if you're going to do this, you need to get trained and you need to practice. We practice a ton and it's alot of fun.....

cheers

+ bring your checkbook.:D

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.