142 SMK

malcarjeb

Has anyone used the Sierra MatchKing 6.5mm 142gr. on whitetail deer?

I just got an excellent load up in my 6.5 WSM and tested them on a stack of phone books. The wound channel was unblieveable on the second half of the books but they did not open as quick as most bullets I have tested including a Barnes X. They also lost more than half their wieght but still penatrated as far as a 130gr. Scirocco II and a 120gr Barnes XLC. I never would have thought this and was thinking about trying them on deer since they shoot and penatrate so well.

Thanks for any help

Your results are common from what I have witness with the SMK bullets. From what I can see from actual on game results is that on impact, the nose of the SMK will collapse on itself instead of rolling open like a traditional expanding bullet. THis delays expansion slightly and once the hollow cavity in the nose collapses totally, then the bullet will be forced to deform the lead core which will result in the larger would channel you are seeing in the second half of penetration. It is a much different expansion track then most big game bullets and that is why I feel it performs better then most would expect on heavier game.

You should not have a problem with your bullet on whitetails out of your WSM but remember what your seeing, expansion is slightly delayed compared to traditional big game bullets.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.