.264 142 ABLR Bullets

• Thread starter Deleted member 25294
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25294

Does anyone have any experience with the Nosler ABLR 142 grn bullets? The claimed BC of .719 seems too good to be true. I would like to test them out but I want good terminal performance on big game and I've heard some mixed reviews of how these bullets perform.
Right now I'm planning on using Berger 140 VLD's but I would love some info on the Nosler ABLR bullets

There's been quite a bit of discussion on the ABLR on this site - use the search engine and you should see quite a few threads pop up. Also, Mr. Litz was able to determine actual BC numbers (again in another thread).

Try this search Nosler LR Accubonds: BC testing results on the same forum.

I have not seen testing of the 142 ABLR. Bryan did the 129 and it was found to be 99% of the advertised BC.

The 142 ABLR Measurements are G1 .719 G7 .320
OAL 1.444
Bearing surface .555
Boattail .216

140 VLD G1 .612 G7 .313
OAL 1.383
Bearing surface .479
Boattail .196

140 Hybrid Target G7 .618 G1 .313
OAL1.450
Bearing surface .490
Boattail .192

I really like the Hybrid Target. No problem what so ever getting it to shoot its a bit more destructive than the VLD on game animals from my limited review. Been waiting to find an accurate shooting load for the ABLR before shooting a game animal with it. It looks fairly promising.

I would really like to see a 6.5 Classic Hunter as I really like that in my 270 win and 300 win mags. So no real world experience with the ABLR yet

A lot of work testing these things and when you get right down to it splitting hairs. The ABLR is a bonded bullet and Nosler says minimum velocity is 1,300 FPS so at what distance you get there is of concern. I know some have had fairly good results on game with the VLD slower than that.

The polymer tip of the ABLR would obviously contribute to its ballistic coefficient but the longer bearing surface???

It will probably be better at 26 Nosler or 6.5x300 velocities.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

I shot a whitetail buck with the 142 ABLR. Severely dissapointed. I am shooting a 6.5x300 win improved. 3300 plus for speed. This deer was in a stubble field at a ranged 300 yards. High shoulder shot. Smashed the shoulder blade but did not get inside. Imagine a bull elk. Impact velocity was right at 2800. This is my second bad experience with the nosler ABLR. The first was a 150 in a standard 280 at 3000. Whitetail spike at 200 yards. Did not get through on a rib shot. It seems federal is the only company with enough brains to make a good all range slippery bullet. Not including the botiques like badlands or hammer. I had several hundred of these ABLR and with the SD of the 142 I thought plenty of bullet for a whitetail. I was wrong. No more ABLR of any size for me.

I shot a whitetail buck with the 142 ABLR. Severely dissapointed. I am shooting a 6.5x300 win improved. 3300 plus for speed. This deer was in a stubble field at a ranged 300 yards. High shoulder shot. Smashed the shoulder blade but did not get inside. Imagine a bull elk. Impact velocity was right at 2800. This is my second bad experience with the nosler ABLR. The first was a 150 in a standard 280 at 3000. Whitetail spike at 200 yards. Did not get through on a rib shot. It seems federal is the only company with enough brains to make a good all range slippery bullet. Not including the botiques like badlands or hammer. I had several hundred of these ABLR and with the SD of the 142 I thought plenty of bullet for a whitetail. I was wrong. No more ABLR of any size for me.
I had the exact thing happen from a 150 out of my 270 ss at. 3152' mv. range 130 yards. It amost totally destroyed the shoulder itself with almost no damage to the internal organs. Center shoulder shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.