Nosler 6.5mm ablr 142

Just got back from the range and with published max load of 45 grains of rl19 I was only getting 2600 fps out of my custom 260 with 24 " 1-8 bartlein barrel. No signs of pressure so I'm gonna go up .5 grain and see what happens. I was hoping to see 2700. Anybody loaded these in 260?

I would try rl17 in your .260. i push 142 smk's 2850 over 45.6g 4831sc but am using a 28" barrel and coal of 2.92". (Long throat, single shot) Have had them as fast as 2915 but they didn't group like I wanted in a competition gun. 4350 should also give you better velocities than Rl19 out of a short action round.

I would think you can get at least 2700's with rl17 or 4350. I have 200 ablr's awaiting load development. My only issue is that when I loaded a few dummies to find the lands, my seating stem deformed the bullets and I have not gotten back to them.

Thanks for the reply. I'd like to keep my loads at magazine length, which is 2.825, but COAL into the lands is 2.94. Will that much jump hinder velocity?

I wouldn't think the jump will hurt your velocity. The problem with loading the heavies to mag length is you lose case capacity. To stuff 45.6g 4831sc and load mine to mag length I would be compressing loads. I have not dumped powder under the 142 ablr's yet so I am not sure how much they encroach on the useable case volume.

I say give rl17 or h4350 a try at mag length and see what you can get. I really like the nosler bullets on game, i have been shooting 110 accubonds out of my 25-06 for 5 years and they are awesome. I do not by any means believe what the ablr's published bc is but without my own data I can't argue that right now.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.