6.5 142 SMK

Pat B.

Has anyone used the 142 SMK for hunting...
If so, at what ranges and what was the outcome of using it on game?

thanks,

Launched at about 2800 it is my experience that the 142 SMK kills coyotes cleanly out to around 600 yards. That said, coyotes are fairly easy to kill. I've had 139, 140 and 142 hit center on West Virginia ground hogs and some end up crawling around wounded for half an hour. Pound for pound ground hogs are tougher to kill than most animals. In my two 6.5/284 Norma rifles I've found that 120gr Noslers at 3000 deliver clean kills on ground hogs and coyotes out to at least 650. SMKs are not engineered to reliably expand, and tend to make nice little round holes at most any distance. Nosler ballistic tips expand explosively leaving very large exit wounds.

I shoot a 6.5-06 Ack. w/ the 142 SMK. I shot a nice four point (western count) with it at 300 yds. I would not hesitate to use that bullet on deer sized game anywhere. They act ballistic tips and dead is dead.
grin.gif

Keep impact vel under 3000fps and above 1500fps, put it behind the shoulder on any NA grass eater, start cleaning.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.