110 barrel swap 7mm rem or STW or 264 Win Mag

Twodogs10mm

I have a older Savage 110 7mm rem mag that needs a new barrel. This will be my first barrel swap.
I originally was thinking 6.5x284 but I would have to change the bolt face and possibly have mag length problems. Then I was thinking 264 win mag, basically same cartridge necked down, should be a straight forward swap.

I want to try my hand at some long range shooting ring some steel shoot some paper. Thats why I was thinking a 6.5 still flat shooting but less recoil. But I still might want to us it for elk hunting, so now I am thinking keeping it 7mm Rem mag or going 7mm STW.

I would appreciate any advise.

Will the STW fit in the Rem mag magazine?

Recoil comparisons, best recoil pad?

Best barrel manufacture?

Thanks in advance

I have a older Savage 110 7mm rem mag that needs a new barrel. This will be my first barrel swap.
I originally was thinking 6.5x284 but I would have to change the bolt face and possibly have mag length problems. Then I was thinking 264 win mag, basically same cartridge necked down, should be a straight forward swap.

I want to try my hand at some long range shooting ring some steel shoot some paper. Thats why I was thinking a 6.5 still flat shooting but less recoil. But I still might want to us it for elk hunting, so now I am thinking keeping it 7mm Rem mag or going 7mm STW.

I would appreciate any advise.

Will the STW fit in the Rem mag magazine?

Recoil comparisons, best recoil pad?

Best barrel manufacture?

Thanks in advance
Well I may be a liitle prejudice, but I would go the STW route. Yes, it will fit in the box. Recoil wise, it is right between a 300 win, and a seven mag. It will not overwhelm you, even with heavy bullets, as do some other calibers. Very SHOOTABLE, and accurate. Typically not fussy, and lots of good load data avail. Go for it!!!!

My vote goes for 7 mag. Had a 264 and loved it but to me seemed a little light for elk. A 7 mag with a longer throat will dang near do what a 264 will do drop wise. With better barrel life and more energy. Mine is pushing 168 bergers at 3100 and my 264would push 140's at 3200.

My vote goes for 7 mag. Had a 264 and loved it but to me seemed a little light for elk. A 7 mag with a longer throat will dang near do what a 264 will do drop wise. With better barrel life and more energy. Mine is pushing 168 bergers at 3100 and my 264would push 140's at 3200.

This is where I stand as well. The 7mm Rem is often overlooked due to it's underpeforming factory ammo along with extremely conservtive load data. A solid load in the 7mm in the right setup can deliver 180 grain Bergers at 3000+ quite easily.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.