10X Bino Shopping Advice

wilkup,

Their warranty is as good as it gets. I purchase the 8X21 Wings. When I dropped them on the concrete I called to see if they would repair them and what they would charge. The lady told me send them in and we send you a new pair. I tried to convince her it was my fault and I didn't mind paying. She repeated what she said. So I did and they did.

Later I purchase the 10X50 Tetons. When I went to Wyoming last year I had a chance to compare them with several other lower level as far as cost go and none were as good. I was definitely post sold.

With the Alpen Rainier I can find a best price of $999 but they don't have the name of recognition if I were to sell them down the road.
The warranty service sounds excellent and is a major selling point for me.

The Kahles option I've been able to find for $850 and wouldn't doubt I'd get close to that on resale (assuming they're in good shape).
I don't know much about the warranty service with these guys too much.

Found some Trinovids for $899 and that may be a steal =)
I have looked through these in the past and really thought they were wonderful. I just wish there people with hand-on, in-field comparisons of some of these binos. The birds forum review was helpful and brought the Leica brand into the running for me.
I'm fairly certain, I can't afford Swaros or other high-end alphas, but the "lower-end" options are within reach of my wallet.
Right now, based on a couple reviews and brand-name-awareness, I like the Trinovids and Kahles, but would really appreciate some hands-on comentary on how they compare to other options out there/each other.

I have used Nikon's MONARCH 7 bino's for 3 season's now. I got a pair before they even hit the consumer market and liked them so much I bought them. I have read reviews from respected Outdoor Writer's saying they thought Nikon's MONARCH 7's were worth what many pay for high end Euro bino's instead of the sub $500 the MONARCH's cost. Pretty tough compliment to beat but at the end of the day you have to get what will work the best for your needs. Check out as many bino's as you can and buy the ones that you think met your needs the best. All Nikon scope's and bino's are covered under their No Fault Policy too.

Later I purchase the 10X50 Tetons. When I went to Wyoming last year I had a chance to compare them with several other lower level as far as cost go and none were as good. I was definitely post sold.

Any chance you've had an opportunity to compare these with the Vortex Viper HDs? The reason I'm curious is cuz they're in a similar price range and I have experience using the Viper HDs.
The other reason I'm coming back to the Alpens is from info on the bird forums and the upgrade program they offer! My initial bino budget just got thinned a bit and buying the Tetons with an option to upgrade to Rainiers down the road is looking really attractive at this point.

Any chance you've had an opportunity to compare these with the Vortex Viper HDs? The reason I'm curious is cuz they're in a similar price range and I have experience using the Viper HDs.
The other reason I'm coming back to the Alpens is from info on the bird forums and the upgrade program they offer! My initial bino budget just got thinned a bit and buying the Tetons with an option to upgrade to Rainiers down the road is looking really attractive at this point.

I don't remember if there were Vortex when I went pronghorn hunting. I used the upgrade option from 8X42 to get the Tetons. Delighted.

The Kahles 10X42's have MSRP of $850 so quite a bit less than your $1000 limit. LRH is a Kahles dealer, so it would be worth your time to contact them if this is the route you'd like to go. I'd be happy to answer any questions about the Kahles binocular that you might have.

The Kahles 10X42's have MSRP of $850 so quite a bit less than your $1000 limit. LRH is a Kahles dealer, so it would be worth your time to contact them if this is the route you'd like to go. I'd be happy to answer any questions about the Kahles binocular that you might have.

I'm not finding too many comparisons between the Kahles and other optics. If you have done so or know of how they compare with the "alphas" or the Alpen stuff, I'd be very interested to hear.
At this point I'm getting real close to just settling for those Alpen Teton 10x50 with the option to upgrade to the Rainiers down the road, if needed.

Please advice how these finalists stack up against each other:

- Leica Trinovid 10x42
- Kahles 10x42
- Alpen Rainier 10x42

Looking for edge-to-edge clarity, low-light performance, durability, customer service, etc.

It is my understanding that Alpen is made in China. I will stand corrected if someone has different information.

I don't have experience with Leica, only Swarovski and Kahles. You can have my Kahles when you pry them from my dead cold fingers. I like them that much.:D

It is my understanding that Alpen is made in China. I will stand corrected if someone has different information.

I don't have experience with Leica, only Swarovski and Kahles. You can have my Kahles when you pry them from my dead cold fingers. I like them that much.:D

Which Swaros are you referring to? I've read and reread the LRH review on the Kahles and they're so intriguing but I don't know where to check them out nearby, or how they might compare to the Trinovids.

I am comparing my Kahles 10X42 binoculars to the Swarovski 10X42 EL. I cannot tell any discernible difference to my eyes, and neither can my hunting partner who owns the EL. It is anecdotal, so you really do need to check them out yourself if possible.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.