10mm handgun

Sir,
Having spent 26 years of my life in law enforcement, as a street cop and detective who has been a firearms instructor since 1991, including one of the instructors who taught SWAT officers and members of the military in Urban Combat, I strongly take issue with your assessment.
There are many people whose hand shape, particularly those with short palms, who cannot instinctively grasp a certain type of handgun grip and shoot it accurately.
The Browning HiPower and the Glock are two examples that some people have difficulty with because of the squarish grip cross-section.
When Glock came out with the "slim line" grip frame, this helped a lot of shooters, unfortunately, that is not an option for most of the Glock large caliber pistols.
Yes, millions of law enforcement and military personnel deploy Glock pistols every day, but look at how many shots are fired vs. hits.
If a person is defending themselves against an animal attack, they will not have time to adjust their grip to accurately in order to get effective hits.
Having personally witnessed three bear attacks and multiple charges I can assure you that there is no time for any adjustments if the grip doesn't fit your hand.

Ed
Thank you for your professional assessment and service.Being a police officer is increasingly become one the THE most dangerous jobs out there.
I am amazed that men and women are still offering themselves in that profession.

Thanks to all that serve.If something happens I know I can depend on our sheriffs office here in Helena Montana but I have heard in some places they are short handed and maybe someone will come to the rescue and maybe not!
Scay stuff!
Old Rooster,
We must all be our own advocates for our health and security, remember; when seconds count help is only minutes away. I advised many people over the years to buy a gun, train, and keep it close, in many cases you can get a pizza to the scene sooner than a Unit because many times they can't break away from one call to get to yours. Sorry, just the way it is these days, it's no reflection on the guys and gals who are holding the line, it's a manpower problem that starts in the mothership and government leadership. Just my 0.2 Cheers.

Kinda getting back to the OP, the most important thing about carrying a sidearm for self defense is familiarity with it to the point of "Unconscious Competence".

There are four levels of competence that we all experience when learning anything new;

Unconscious Incompetence; When you are incompetent and are unaware of your level of incompetence.
Conscious Incompetence; When you are incompetent and are aware of your level of incompetence.
Conscious Competence; When you are competent at the skill but have to concentrate or focus on the steps of it in order to achieve success.
Unconscious Competence; When your competence rises to the level that it is pure "muscle" memory and you can focus on the threat rather than the mechanics of how to deal with it.
Your tools should be an extension of your subconscious brain.

That last level requires a greater amount of energy and effort to achieve, but it will also return to you when you need it.

Any firearm skill is perishable and handgun skills are particularly vulnerable to neglect, poor training, and what I call the "John Wayne Syndrome" which is an overinflated belief in one's abilities.

One MUST train with the same power level ammo that will be carried. Anything less is just cheating yourself and leading you to failure when things really matter.

Just my $0.02

Ed

Worth a whole lot more than 0.2 buddy!I wish I were younger but at my age I would just be in the way.
I'm glad there are folks with a calling to serve as things seem to get worse every year.Is it me or is it really getting worse every year?
I hate to say it, but... yeah, it is really getting worse. Cheers my friend.

Sir,
Having spent 26 years of my life in law enforcement, as a street cop and detective who has been a firearms instructor since 1991, including one of the instructors who taught SWAT officers and members of the military in Urban Combat, I strongly take issue with your assessment.
There are many people whose hand shape, particularly those with short palms, who cannot instinctively grasp a certain type of handgun grip and shoot it accurately.
The Browning HiPower and the Glock are two examples that some people have difficulty with because of the squarish grip cross-section.
When Glock came out with the "slim line" grip frame, this helped a lot of shooters, unfortunately, that is not an option for most of the Glock large caliber pistols.
Yes, millions of law enforcement and military personnel deploy Glock pistols every day, but look at how many shots are fired vs. hits.
If a person is defending themselves against an animal attack, they will not have time to adjust their grip to accurately in order to get effective hits.
Having personally witnessed three bear attacks and multiple charges I can assure you that there is no time for any adjustments if the grip doesn't fit your hand.

Ed
That was polite and informative.

There's no place for that kind of **** here! 😂🤪

APDDSN0864, My sentiments exactly! I use/carry the same CC handgun at all times. Same with my hunting rifle, one rifle/one load for all hunting. memtb
But I don't want to carry my 12 g everywhere and hunt coyotes with my 375 H&H!!! :(

28 pages for a thread started in February - wow! What did the OP end up with anyhow??

One these in griz country while fishing or hunting might be handy.
20240409_103352.jpg

But I don't want to carry my 12 g everywhere and hunt coyotes with my 375 H&H!!! :(

28 pages for a thread started in February - wow! What did the OP end up with anyhow??

While I've killed a few with my .375, have even hunted them with it…, I don't consider coyote hunting…. "Hunting"! More a game of sport.

For myself, hunting is big game…..deer/Pronghorn and up! memtb