100g NBT IMR-4350

remingtonman_25_06

Went out the other day and worked around a load I thought would be ok. I have been getting somewhat unsatisfactory results with IMR-4350 and the 100g NBT. I think I worked it out with seating depth. And on top of that, what more can I expect from a factory rifle. Its hard for me to grasp that concept at times. I was originally loading my rounds with an OAL of 3.240" which was around .010" off the lands, I went back and loaded up some new rounds at 3.250", which is where I shoulda started in teh first place. I loaded up 3 rounds each at 51.9g, 52.3g, and 52.7g, W-W, CCI BR-2. I shot them at 200 yards. The wind was blowing around 10 mph as well. Not the best conditions for load testing, but I was going yote hunting in the morning and needed to get it done. I did not crono these exact loads, but previous testing was 3300fps, I figure with the extra .3g or powder and extra .010" length would add 25fps or so, so I'm just gonna say around 3325fps. I shot it at 500 when I was out yote hunting at a small dirt clod. Clicks seem to be dead on, or close enough to hit a yote. Heres the results.

486xy80.jpg

R---man 25-06 ,

Pretty good for load testing and 10 mph wind.

I -to get carried away w/group shooting and expectations from a factory barrel.

Thanks Mike. Ya I been messin with this combo for the better part of a month now. Seems like I would get something decent, load up a couple to double check and they wouldn't be very good. I was wanting to take it yote hunting more this year, but got to carried away trying to find a load for it. Dang it anyways. I got my winter load down, now I'll need to start on the summer load soon...

That's some pretty good groups, however you should be able to cut them in half using Win primers and IMR-4831. Try it, you might like the results.

Tim

Whats your load with IMR-4831 Tim?? Around how many grains anyways? Win primer make that much difference?? Whats the velocity like with your load?? Just curious, I dont have any IMR-4831 on hand at the moment, but might in the future...

I'll have to dig it up, I know they were going high 33's and touching 3400fps. Got away from it cause the porkers I shot with them would soke up the hit and keep on going. Went to the Partitions and they done better but still not to satisfy me. Yes, the primers made a-lot of difference.

I tellya, my partner ol Mikie/Tx is a 25 head. He has done more tinkering with this caliber than me but I will dig up what I had going and get back to ya.

Tim

I was using 54 grains of H4831 with the Nosler BT and a CCI large rifle priver and getting .25" groups with it at 100 yds from my Ruger 77V. Finally traded it off to buy a .25-06AI but that Ruger accounted for more coyotes than I can remember over the years. Each gun has its load likes and dislikes and thats what mine liked. Yours could be a whole lot differant though. My B78 Browning loves it and so does my Mauser MX though so you just never know but in the 30 plus years of shooting .25-06's I haven't found a gun yet that didn't like 4831 either Hodgen's or IMR.

I was shooting 57 gr IMR 4831 with 100 NPs at 3410 fps. I went to the lightweight Barnes instead. With another load shooting 100 NBTs I was getting 3471. I use WLRs on all my .25-06 loads. It has consistently given me the best groups.

Yah I know every rifle is different...I didn't know primers really made that much difference though. I have always used Fed 210 or CBR-2 in my 25-06. Never tried the win primers, but I might now.

sewwhat, that 100g load you mention at 3470fps, that was with a ballpowder wasn't it?? I think I've asked you this before, but wanted to make sure. 57g IMR-4831 seems to be a pretty hot load. I will definately work with it in the future though with Win primers. Seems like it has a pretty good following...

Remmey 25, The load I was shooting was 56grs. of IMR-4831 with the WLR primers. It ripped ragged holes at 200yds just about any time you went out, it's just they didn't have enough umff to put the hogs down right there, had to shoot them 2-3 times. These hogs are tough, that's why I call them East Texas grizzlys. Mike shot that pig 4 times with the 7STW with the 150's before he went down. Now if was using a 270 he would have died of a heart attack just knowing he was about to be plugged with one. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

"Now if was using a 270 he would have died of a heart attack just knowing he was about to be plugged with one."

Yada Yada Yada..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Remmy,
I had a load using 52 grs of Imr-4350 but it was with the 100gr Sierra. IT shot just over 3200 from my 24". IT was the only load that I ever got those particular bullets to shoot with. However it was one hole groups at 200yds.

For the BT I seated them to 3.250" OAL, and used 52.5 grs of Imr-4831 for 3350fps and got consistant 1/2" groups with it at 200yds. IT was one of those loads that you just picked which tick you wanted to bust and let her rip. Tim shot it with my rifle as well and did as good with it as I could. He seemed prety impressed. I just didn't like the end result it had on some of the deer I took with it, so I switched to the 115gr PT.

THe PT also shot as well, as Tim can also testify. Out to 300yds it was good for head shots on yotes or skunks, depending on which were out. That load was 56.5grs of RL-22 for 3150fps. I simply wanted one bullet that I could use that would serve whatever purpose I needed at the time. The PT happend to fit the bill. I have never felt that I gave anything up by using them even with the extra cost, as I knew that when the cross hair settled, whatever was under it was hitting the ground.

THe only bullet I really pushed the velocity on was the 100gr but after hitting the higher velocities, the groups opened up, so I backed down and settled for groups. I really only ever intended to use this rifle for whitetails out to around 400yds and the loads I developed worked well to that range. I did take a muley in CO with it and the PT but the range was only like 35 - 40 yds, so either load would have probably worked. I also shot a few Speer 120's which shot exceptional, but I just couldn't get the velocity up to a level I wanted before the groups headed south. Out to 250 yds however they hit with authority and would totally flip a whitetail when hit squarly through the shoulder.

Good luck on yours, I am sure you will hit something which will suit your needs for the yotes.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts