1000 yard optic

bkite2186

in your expert opinions..for those of you who are experts..and for the others...in your opinion, what is the best 1000 yard riflescope commercially available?

Don't know if I am allowed to answer this because I'm **** sure not an expert and I just barely qualify as being high enough to qualify as "one of the others":) but.......I've gotten to where I'm pretty partial to the Nightforce NXS 5.5x22 scope.

It has enough magnification, when conditions are great, to really split hairs and it has the glass quality and resolution that allows me to turn the magnification down under a little "boil" and still it allows me the sight picture I need.

You'll get all kinds of opinions from Leupolds to S&B to NF to etc. etc. etc. If the glass has the resolution and quality that gives you what you need at 1000 then you should be happy.:):D:) Kinda like the Ford and Chevy thing, although I drive a Toyota so you know how much my opinion's worth.:rolleyes:

Me and goodgrouper have shot beyond 2000yds with Leupold VX-III"s 8.5X25 LR's you can crank the turrets up and down and they return to zero. not as fluffy as a Nightforce but they flat out work. if weight is an issue then the Leupold is a bit lighter, if mystique is more important then the Nightforce takes the nod.
UB

I like the NSX 3.5X15 for general hunting and out to 1K...For longer distances I prefer the 5.5X22.....Nightforce is about the only scope avaiable that the reticles and the turret adjustments can be had in true MOA and not IPHY.The US Optics MOA reticle and the Turrets are IPHY not MOA..This info came from a thread on Snipershide and the owner of US OPtics post on SPH and he didnot contradict..NXS has 12 reticle choices,the recticle doesnot change colors in direct sunlight......In short a 3.5X15 NSX will make a great choice fos shooting out to 1K....
Nightforce NSX scopes are extreme rugged as this picture of an NSX with an AK-47 bullet hole completely through the tube,wi9ll Attest

NightforceAK-47.jpg

PS. The soldier taped up the holes and used the scope for 3 more days.... I looked through this scope at the 06 shot show in Vegas .....

Holy ####! That must be some good glass if it didn't blow apart from the shot. nowonder they are so darn expensive!

I don't think I qualify as an expert, but I do have extensive experience with the Leupold and Nightforce scopes both as a PD sniper and a former military sniper.

Leupold mark 4 - excellent scope, I never had any problems with these scopes and I used them for years.

Leupold VX-III - I actually had a reticle start to slip on me. After every shot, the reticle would slip clockwise. The scope was mounted on farely heavy .308 win.

Nightforce NXS - I've been using one for the last 4 1/2 years. I shoot weekly and I will tell you that this scope is the best I have ever used.

Schmidt & Bender - I've only looked through them, but I know their reputation is top of the line glass.

One of these days, I'm going to have Kirby build a rifle for me and it will have either a Nightforce or a Schmidt & Bender on it. I learned long ago that trying to save money on equipment rarely ever saves you money....ie, buy the best the 1st time and be done with.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.