1000 yard problem

first things first...

Perry, check to see how far your windage is dialed from center... just count the clicks to one extreme, then count back to current windage zero... then count clicks to other extreme. There should be more than 3 or 4 MOA difference...

That way you'll know if something is drilled or machined or assembled off axis.

Let us know what you find...

Dan

You can just check the windage right there in your home...

Assuming the scope is zeroed for windage right now, just count the clicks it takes to go to extreme left... then count back to center... then count the clicks it takes to go to extreme right. Should not be more than 3 or 4 MOA difference between these two numbers.

Dan

If your windage isn't off, then the base, rings, receiver and barrel are good to go.

This really only leaves the scope as the culprit.

Do a box test on a large sheet of target paper (cardboard, whatever)... just see how far up in inches your POI will go as you dial up your scope.

If it won't go where it's supposed to, send it back and take advantage of Vortex's often used great customer service. :)

green 788 said:
If your windage isn't off, then the base, rings, receiver and barrel are good to go.

This really only leaves the scope as the culprit.

I don't think the windage test rules out the barrel and receiver as the culprit. Sending the scope back may only waste time with no solution.

More likely the barrel is installed crooked - in this case pointing down. This would be difficult to see with the action in the stock. I suspect you would need vee blocks and a flat surface to confirm. I guess it could also be that the bore is not straight. The end result would be the same.

I would check another scope first. A boresight collimator would help here. I think a 30-40 MOA base is in the cards.

If the barrel is crooked... you'd have to dial a ton of windage into the scope to get on paper.

He's saying his windage is centered in the adjustment range, so all else would have to be straight, right?

As to the barrel pointing down... I see your point... but that scope is on a 20 MOA base, so it would really have to be pointing way down to run out of elevation at 1000 yards.

Savages are pretty well put together these days... CNC stuff, really tight tolerances.

Could be something that catastrophic, but... <ducks under table> we're discussing a scope which for all its fanfare has, according to many reports, been made in China. So that's what I would first suspect.

Dan

I have a couple of Savages with the same problem. The latest one required almost 15 MOA vertical adjustment to get to zero. I am using a Vortex Viper Scope with 60 MOA adjustment with 20 MOA base and 10 MOA Offsets in the front and back. If my calculations are correct that should give me 60 MOA in the scope of adjustment and put my zero at approximately 10 MOA high at 100 Yards. When I actually zeroed the rifle at 100 Yards I am about 5 MOA from the bottom of the Scope with 58 MOA of elevation in the scope left to use.

onzah said:
I have a couple of Savages with the same problem. The latest one required almost 15 MOA vertical adjustment to get to zero.

Ditto here with a Savage 25. Mine is cocked to the left, which is why I noticed it. However, the misalignment could be in any direction. 15-20 MOA boresight misalignment between the receiver and barrel is not uncommon.

I'm also seeing evidence of bores not being straight in production rifles, with the last 4" of barrel at the muzzle misaligned with the breech end by up to ~10 MOA.

I think this problem is more common than most people realize. Only the long range shooters seem to notice it.

I ordered a 30 MOA base today. That should fix the problem and get me back shooting quicker than contacting Vortex.

It's hard to believe that a barrel can be installed that far off.

bottom your elevation turret out (count the clicks so you can get it back to center)...

then let us know how many clicks back to 100 yard zero, then count how many clicks from 100 yard zero to "top out."

Hopefully you haven't taken the scope and mount off just yet... there's still some more testing which can and should be done before drawing any firm conclusions.

we don't necessarily need to give the bases, rings and scopes the benefit of the doubt.... the sighting system is going to be more subject to issues than the barrel/receiver union, I would say.

are you sure the mount you have on there now is on correctly?

if you do find your barrel is crooked... maybe Savage will check it and fix it... supposedly they "straighten" barrels in the factory, from what I've read this morning. :eek:

_
Bending a barrel to change the point of impact relative to the scope settings is a bad thing to do. As soon as it heats up from firing several shots, it'll move impact quite a bit.

If the barrel could be stress releived after bending it, that may help. Otherwise, Savage may well just replace the receiver with one whose barrel tenon threads are on axis with the receiver. If the barrel is bent, I'd opt for a new receiver and refuse any barrel bending fix.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.