1000 yard rangefinder?

Smart ***

well considering i owned these and have owned another 1000 dna and a leupold rx iii

i would think it would be an informed opinion and NOT a smart *** remark so why
so defensive.

and by the way the two i kept were the leica and the leupold rx 600.

i even sold the zeiss because it was useless past 600 to 700 because the beam divergence was way to big but the optics were very good

cheers D

Attachments

• lrf 1.JPG
    lrf 1.JPG
    131.6 KB · Views: 87
  • lrf5 (Small).JPG
    lrf5 (Small).JPG
    59.8 KB · Views: 76
  • lrf3.JPG
    lrf3.JPG
    135.1 KB · Views: 93
Leica is the way to go i have the 1000 and it continually hits out to 1200 yards where i have ranged coyotes to flower patches with ease at that yardage

I can recommend the Leica 1000 as well. I picked up a demo 1000R last fall from camerlandny.com and have been very happy with it so far.

Well I went ahead and ordered the Leupold 1200. On sale at Cabelas for $50 off. I'm sure it's on sale because a newer better version will be coming soon. At any rate I hope to have a review up in a couple weeks. Seems nobody has posted any info on these rangefinders.

Well I went ahead and ordered the Leupold 1200. On sale at Cabelas for $50 off. I'm sure it's on sale because a newer better version will be coming soon. At any rate I hope to have a review up in a couple weeks. Seems nobody has posted any info on these rangefinders.

Because you asked for ...

Any recommendations for an honest 1000 yard rangefinder?

... and that's what we did. And if you do a custom search on the right hand corner, there's plenty of it, esp. on real world hands on experiences and applications.

Good luck on your purchase. Enjoy!

Hahaha. That should have read nobody has posted any info on the Leupold 1200i. Plenty of info on other models all of which are a little too pricey for me. I intend to post a review of the Leupold as my custom search found not much other than two posts by me asking about them.

The Leicas rule bang for your buck,my 1200 has hung with a 1600 and the swaro range bino as well on sunny day.Problem my rifle out paced my RF so I had to step up to the best.

Took the new Leupokd out this morning. Was regularly getting readings at 800-900 yards on Digger Pines. If you aren't familiar with California low elevation pines they are about as wispy as a pine can be with light grey needles. Got one reading at 1000 yards off asphalt. All in bright late morning sun. Hoping to try it tomorrow in overcast and hopefully RAINY conditions. Had my old Leupold 600 along. Only under perfect conditions and a reflective target could I ever get a reading past 500 yards. 600 was a instant repeatable read with the 1200i. So far it's doubg all I hoped.

Took the new Leupokd out this morning. Was regularly getting readings at 800-900 yards on Digger Pines. 600 was a instant repeatable read with the 1200i. So far it's doubg all I hoped.

Great! My RX-1000i repeats consistently at over 850 yds, even on hazy days. My longest shot could be 700 (max anyway with .30-06 168 TSX). Now, if I can just hold the @%&*$ light thing steady...:rolleyes:!

Ted

I have had the Leica 900. Nice rangefinder but no angle compensation. Now I have the Leupold RX-1200i TBR. Here is my experience from last fall hunting elk and antelope. On my elk hunt I was with another couple of people and they had the G7 BR2 rangefinder. We were in a canyon at first light when we spotted the elk. There was low light. BOTH the Leupold and the G7 could not pick up the range on the animals. After about 15 minutes the G7 got the first reading (910) then the Leupold after a few minutes more. The available light in the morning and the backdrop played a critical role here. It was frustrating to be unable to range in low light. That includes both rangefinders. So no matter what you spend you may have trouble ranging in low light conditions. On the antelope hunt in Wyoming we were in sagebrush rolling hills, bright sunshine and calm conditions. The antelope were about half covered by the sage brush in most areas. I could not range anything further than 420 on my rangefinder (RX-1200i TBR). I wrote to Leupold after this hunt and they said the back drop was causing the problems. This is just what I experienced during last year's hunts and may not be what others experience. If this helps anyone great, if not I tired. Best of luck to all.

Buy a used Leica 1200 or 1600 crf. You can find them for $4-500 with a little patience. They are outstanding units and they both will range further than advertised in good conditions. You could also look at the Zeiss plrf but it's much larger and has a larger laser beam that could result in ranging errors.

I had both. I grew out of the Zeiss with would range out to 1400 yds any day. My Leica 1600 will go into the 1800s. I really liked my Zeiss but I won't buy their products anymore bc the customer service sucks. I had a Vortex range finder and it is JUNK.
Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.