$1000 or less Hunting scope advice for Rem 700 30.06

I need some advice for a first focal plane hunting/target scope for a new Remington 700 30.06. It will mostly be used for hunting. But I wouldn't mind target shooting out to 1,000 yards. I know there are a lot of new scope makers. I am looking for a scope from a company like Vortex, Luepold, etc. that offers a lifetime warranty. The following are the features I would prefer:
1. less than $1,000.00
2. Godd warranty
3. First focal plane;
4. 3x18?? or 4x20??ish.
5. Decent field of view.
6. medium to lightweight.

I currently hunt with an old model Ziess 3x9 Conquest. The glass is great, but it is less than ideal for targets beyond 600 yds.

Thanks in advance.
Used or open box Nightforce SHV 4-14 X50mm FFP. can probably be found for around $ 1,000.00 or a little less . I own the 56 mm SFP higher magnification and it has never let me down. The SHV is sitting on my 30-06 , huntable to 700 yds with the load and bullet combo I run in it.

Last edited:
The scope requested will be less then ideal. He said mostly for hunting with some 1000 yard target. The reticle of a wide range first focal plane scope will be too fine/small on 3 to 4 power when hunting, scope will be heavy/bulky on a nice 700 in 3006. His 3-9 Conquest is a great, Great, scope for hunting ranges on a 3006.

I recommend a second scope for 1000 yd target, use a quality rail with appropriate rings and switch scopes when hunting or target shooting. 1000 yd target ammo means re-sighting from hunting ammo so a couple minutes to swap scopes will be worth it. A dedicated target scope can be bulky, heavier and higher power—really opens up the choices. With a good mounting system the scopes will be surprisingly close to their prior zero.

I need some advice for a first focal plane hunting/target scope for a new Remington 700 30.06. It will mostly be used for hunting. But I wouldn't mind target shooting out to 1,000 yards. I know there are a lot of new scope makers. I am looking for a scope from a company like Vortex, Luepold, etc. that offers a lifetime warranty. The following are the features I would prefer:
1. less than $1,000.00
2. Godd warranty
3. First focal plane;
4. 3x18?? or 4x20??ish.
5. Decent field of view.

I currently hunt with an old model Ziess 3x9 Conquest. The glass is great, but it is less than ideal for targets beyond 600 yds.

Thanks in advance.
Arken changed my outlook on scopes,sold my sightron and a few other higher end ones,the glass is fantastic.

Had to use Bushnell warranty and it was a mixed bag for sure. They replaced a Japanese made Bushnell scope with a much cheaper Chinese made one that was inferior than the one I sent in. I also had several defective high end Chinese Bushnell scopes they would not replace or repair because they were discontinued. Several relatives as well as some shooting buddies sent in their Bushnell binoculars with problems of varying tier and price levels and some were returned still broken without explanation while others were only offered a discount towards buying new replacements so much for Bushnell's lifetime warranty huh? No replacement nor repaired binoculars offered and their extremely poor warranty and customer service ratings are well deserved. Riton scope sent in then return stating nothing wrong but still blurry. I'm not the only one I know that had this done to them. Riton now owns Blackhound. They also make all kinds of excuses to not have customers send their defective Ritons in for warranty and like to tell them to just return them to place of purchase. I don't trust Zeiss because Ilya wasn't impressed with their warranty and QC and the recent string of LRP S3s that needed to be sent in and in several instances multiple times in less than a year. I would really worry how long it would actually take for warranty repair if and when having to send overseas to Germany too. I do not have such worry with the Vortex Razor Gen 3 I bought if I need the quickest turnaround time for warranty and Vortex even sends a prepaid return shipping label for warranty. Arken does the sake with prepaid return shipping label whenever warranty is needed but their communication isn't as quick as Vortex. I think only Vortex and Arken sends prepaid return shipping labels when their customers need to send in their scopes for warranty.

Everyone has the right to spend their hard earned money on whatever brands they choose as long as they are well aware of any possible consequences. All it takes is one bad warranty experience shame on you but keep buying from the same brand after getting screwed over shame on me just asking to be bent over again. But some people really like it from behind.

For me from now on, it's Arken EP5s and EPL4s and anything Vortex Razor line and Nightforce NX8s. Maybe another 34mm Strike Eagle 3-18x44 and Kowas and Swarovski for serious binoculars and spotters.
You've had some bad luck! Of all my sporting arms, hardware, and optics, I've only had one warranty return.

TORIC UHD 30mm 2.5-15X44 FFP Illuminated MOA/MOA (also MRAD version) Hunting Rifle Scope . Right at $1K. Great scope for both hunting and targets. Many people want more magnification, but I want field of view for the quick shots when hunting. Since hunting if first on your list, try this

1. less than $1,000.00
2. Godd warranty
3. First focal plane;
4. 3x18?? or 4x20??ish.
5. Decent field of view.

Thanks in advance.
Arken Optics is absolutely the best value for the money, beyond any doubt.

I would suggest 2 scopes I have used for many years. A 2.5 X to 8X Leupold VX3 or 3.5 X to 10X Leupold VX3. Great all-around hunting scopes. Clear sharp picture, Rugged construction, Matt Finish . I have used these with Leupold Steel Rings and Bases. Never any issues.

Vortex all the way !!!

I actually really like the New additions Strike Eagle line a bunch

I am a Fire Arms instructor and have many rifles and while I love the Gen II and III glass there is not 2k in the budget for every rifle
Recently I have put on many of the 3-18 mRad units and they have performed beautifully

In my opinion its the perfect feature set for many duties especially AR platform

But …. If you want to keep weight down and step up a notch I love the LHT 4.5-22
It's a bit over your budget but a fantastic piece of glass and lightest in class.

Go trijicon. For a budget of 1k or less I would go trijicon every time
Several have recommended Trijicon. They are on my list.

The scope requested will be less then ideal. He said mostly for hunting with some 1000 yard target. The reticle of a wide range first focal plane scope will be too fine/small on 3 to 4 power when hunting, scope will be heavy/bulky on a nice 700 in 3006. His 3-9 Conquest is a great, Great, scope for hunting ranges on a 3006.

I recommend a second scope for 1000 yd target, use a quality rail with appropriate rings and switch scopes when hunting or target shooting. 1000 yd target ammo means re-sighting from hunting ammo so a couple minutes to swap scopes will be worth it. A dedicated target scope can be bulky, heavier and higher power—really opens up the choices. With a good mounting system the scopes will be surprisingly close to their prior zero.
This is probably a good idea. You are right my Zeis scope is great for 90% of the hunting I do. The glass is really good. I normally just sight in a couple of inches high at 100 yards and I am in the kill zone out to 300 yds. Looking for crossover scope may be fool's errand. I might be better off looking for a dedicated long-range scope to switch out.