NEED advice for a hunting scope .

Jrin21

Trying to decide between leupold vx6 , swaroski z6 , steiner extreme hunter . Cant decide mainly interested in the lowlight shooting .

....It's going to hard not to pick the Swaro....:cool:

No experience with Steiner.

The VX6 is a solid performer, I may end up with another soon.

I haven't had the opportunity to use a Swaro, but have one of their spotters. Best glass I own, especially if light is your concern, and budget permits, I would choose this.

Any place close to you that stocks them?

Trying to decide between leupold vx6 , swaroski z6 , steiner extreme hunter . Cant decide mainly interested in the lowlight shooting .

In side by side low light comparisons on deer antlers in the woods with VX-6 4-24X52 and a z5 5-25X52 both quit at the same time. During the day the VX-6 displays more realistic colors and needs about 1 1/2 lower power on the magnification ring to see the same detail.

I recently looked at both the Leopold and Swarovski scopes. My biggest concern with the Swarovski was the thickness of the reticle. I was concerned that in low light or brush I would have a hard time picking out the reticle in the Swarovski.

For this reason I chose the Leopold scope.

I've owned both Leupold and Swarovski. Swarovski wins between those two. Works well into very low light. My biggest issue with the Swarovski is one of mine has the fine cross hairs and that gets lost in the dark. I see deer/game just fine but late in the hunt cross hairs vanish. My eyes aren't that young anymore. Maybe a younger/better set of eyes would do better. Can't comment on the other scope.

Many of the Swaros don't have the vertical range of other scopes. For me that was hard to get past...wi my gun I think the adjustments would have limited me to 700 something yds. I don't plan to take game that far but do want to practice occasionally beyond that distance.

The new LR are much better in that regard but are pricey compared to other options.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.