$1000 or less Hunting scope advice for Rem 700 30.06

Kiowa Cowboy

I need some advice for a first focal plane hunting/target scope for a new Remington 700 30.06. It will mostly be used for hunting. But I wouldn't mind target shooting out to 1,000 yards. I know there are a lot of new scope makers. I am looking for a scope from a company like Vortex, Luepold, etc. that offers a lifetime warranty. The following are the features I would prefer:
1. less than $1,000.00
2. Godd warranty
3. First focal plane;
4. 3x18?? or 4x20??ish.
5. Decent field of view.
6. medium to lightweight.

I currently hunt with an old model Ziess 3x9 Conquest. The glass is great, but it is less than ideal for targets beyond 600 yds.

Thanks in advance.

My son bought, a Zeiss Conquest, V-4, in 4 x 16 power, 30 MM, for his Proof Barreled, Tikka in, 7 PRC and,..
it looks to be, pretty "Awesome", so far as it, "Tracks" very well and, is,.. Clear & Bright !
He's pretty "Picky" and has done, quite a bit of research on scopes ( He likes, the Heavy, N-F's , too "But", is not wanting to, Carry the Wt., for Elk )
The Scope cost him, around $800 and after looking at it, I'm thinking about,"Upgrading" scopes, for myself !
This Tikka / 24" Proof build, with scope, weigh's, Sub 8.4 Pounds, as Weight,.. IS, important to him !

Last edited:
Honestly some people bash them but for the money it's very hard to find fault with VORTEX, noting that not all their product lines are the same quality. I often think of them as the SAVAGE ARMS of optics haha, accessible to most anybody and really offering a tremendous value in terms of capability.

It's nuts to me to think about what relatively "entry level" savage rifles and vortex optics are capable of doing compared to even very expensive setups from not that long ago, in some regards it's a great time to be alive.

I will say…they don't have the crisp and bright light transmission of the pricier glass. I also don't know how tough they are as far as banging around in the field or truck, I will say my cheaper model has had no issues with hundreds of rounds of .300 win mag and tracks true.

I have a Nightforce SHV 5 x 20 x 56 that I have really been impressed with. They make lower powers with smaller objectives as well.
Sightron makes good scopes at a good price and they track very well.
For a pure hunting scope I like the Trijicon Accupoints. They track. Have decent glass. They don't require batteries and they are tough as goat sperm.
im Not sure they make any that are in first focal plane but I'm thinking so.

I need some advice for a first focal plane hunting/target scope for a new Remington 700 30.06. It will mostly be used for hunting. But I wouldn't mind target shooting out to 1,000 yards. I know there are a lot of new scope makers. I am looking for a scope from a company like Vortex, Luepold, etc. that offers a lifetime warranty. The following are the features I would prefer:
1. less than $1,000.00
2. Godd warranty
3. First focal plane;
4. 3x18?? or 4x20??ish.
5. Decent field of view.
6. medium to lightweight.

I currently hunt with an old model Ziess 3x9 Conquest. The glass is great, but it is less than ideal for targets beyond 600 yds.

Thanks in advance.
The good news is that it's the right time to be getting a good scope at a great price!

To the guys suggesting the Zeiss V4, do they make a FFP version?

In my opinion, the hardest part of your search is going to be a front focal plane scope with a reticle that is useable for huntung.

So far, I'm really liking the Meopta Optika6. Great glass, tracks good and the reticle is very hunting friendly throughout the range.

I would suggest if you go ffp, that you get illuminated in whatever you end with.

Last edited: