0-600yrds target caliber

The 240 was likely a varmintmaster then. It had a slimmed down , minurature mk5 action. When I say ultralight, I'm speaking of its physical weight, not Weatherby model designation . Of the stainless fluted rifles we carried, only one had the action like the little wood 240. Based on your description of the varmintmaster , I think it must have been one in the same. Back I n those days, although I did a little bit of accurizing on customers rifles...bedding stocks, scope lapping, barrel cutting and recrowning, free floating, and trigger work....I was the ARCHERY pro at the store. I didn't spend much time learning individual model designations. If I could find that rifle, I'd buy it this morning, lol.
Thanks for the trip down memory lane .........sorry for the hijack, OP.
I still say 6 ARC, LOL
I'm not sure how they could have gotten a .240 Wby in the Varmitmaster action, I believe it only came in one size action to hold .308 length cartridges, being the .240 Wby Mag is a .30-06 length I don't believe it would have been capable of taking the .240 Wby Mag, boy I sure wish they had of, I would have jumped all over that. I called Weathbry once back then, about making the Varmitmaster in a .308 Win, they had no interest, I think they missed the boat on that one, it (the miniature action) was only made in the .224 Wby Mag and the .22-250 Rem, the .22-250 Rem being close enough for .308 length I based my 6XC conversion on that for hunting length bullets in the ^XC as I said If they'd made a .30-06 length action in the Varmitmaster I would have bought a couple of those for sure. They did make a .30-06 in the larger MkV (rare) I think it can be confusing being that I believe the larger magnums are 9 lugs and the Varmitmasters are 6 lugs, with that said... I think the .240 Wby Mag is in fact a larger action MkV but! with a 6 lug bolt, why??? I have no idea. But the action size; I know is the same size as the larger MkV magnum action physically. Now I'll have to call Weatherby and satisfy my curiosity. 🤔 😂 Cheers!

I'm not sure how they could have gotten a .240 Wby in the Varmitmaster action, I believe it only came in one size action to hold .308 length cartridges, being the .240 Wby Mag is a .30-06 length I don't believe it would have been capable of taking the .240 Wby Mag, boy I sure wish they had of, I would have jumped all over that. I called Weathbry once back then, about making the Varmitmaster in a .308 Win, they had no interest, I think they missed the boat on that one, it (the miniature action) was only made in the .224 Wby Mag and the .22-250 Rem, the .22-250 Rem being close enough for .308 length I based my 6XC conversion on that for hunting length bullets in the ^XC as I said If they'd made a .30-06 length action in the Varmitmaster I would have bought a couple of those for sure. They did make a .30-06 in the larger MkV (rare) I think it can be confusing being that I believe the larger magnums are 9 lugs and the Varmitmasters are 6 lugs, with that said... I think the .240 Wby Mag is in fact a larger action MkV but! with a 6 lug bolt, why??? I have no idea. But the action size; I know is the same size as the larger MkV magnum action physically. Now I'll have to call Weatherby and satisfy my curiosity. 🤔 😂 Cheers!
Please do call them. I had guns , side by side, and there was a big difference in the cross section of the big mk5 action and that superlite 240 . The length might have been the same as the standard mk5, but it was very easy to see the width was much narrower. The barrel was a pencil too, lol. Like I said earlier, the rack was full of mk5s , all the way up to an accumark in 30-378. I handled the rifles daily . That wood gun and one kevlar/stainless , both 240s, were unique actions. This was in the mid-late 90s, if you need a timeline , if you call them.

Sidebar..... one of the store owners younger brothers ordered and purchased a full ornate 460 Weatherby mag, but i never got to see or handle it.

Please do call them. I had guns , side by side, and there was a big difference in the cross section of the big mk5 action and that superlite 240 . The length might have been the same as the standard mk5, but it was very easy to see the width was much narrower. The barrel was a pencil too, lol. Like I said earlier, the rack was full of mk5s , all the way up to an accumark in 30-378. I handled the rifles daily . That wood gun and one kevlar/stainless , both 240s, were unique actions. This was in the mid-late 90s, if you need a timeline , if you call them.

Sidebar..... one of the store owners younger brothers ordered and purchased a full ornate 460 Weatherby mag, but i never got to see or handle it.
I'll get back to you when I've called Weatherby... .460 Wby I shot one, "once" never again.

as usual define the target,,type of shooting....target could be a 24x24 steel or a f class or a 600 bench rest target....all require a tool for the job, seldom the same tool

I love my 243AI. For steel and varmints it's great to 600, I wouldn't shoot 6mm anything to deer sized game at the upper end of that. I'd move up to the 260 or 260AI. Sold a buddy on the 260AI.

The 243AI is kind of hot to use for F-Class. I used mine for a couple short seasons of F-class before I built my dedicated 284. Pretty certain it is leading to premature barrel burn-out and I'll finish this barrel at around 1000 rounds.

When we whant speed we pay the for it.

Would not be afraid to go deer hunting with à 243 and à 100gr bullet. Buddy of mine go moose hunting with 243 and they never mist

When we whant speed we pay the for it.

Would not be afraid to go deer hunting with à 243 and à 100gr bullet. Buddy of mine go moose hunting with 243 and they never mist
Love my 243AI. Medium game hunting 500-600yds, been there done that. There are better options. Missing is not the issue.

Totaly agree with you their is better option but I prefer hunt with à partner that drive is 243win that a person that afraid of is magnum

Hi everyone,
Im looking to have a new built on a rem 700 short action that I got.
Rifle will ne use for 600yrds range target.

Have a 284win, 7mm rem mag, 7mmm08, 2 308, one will give is action.

As you see im a 7mm fan and with the rem mag im well equiped for long range hunting.

I do think solding one 308 and go full custom but I like to use what I got at home.

Im looking at the 6mm dasher but im open to any idea.

I dont mind single feeding my rifle.
Well the 308 has good readily available factory ammo. You will get good barrel life as well. That being said if you reload I would favor the 7-08 with some 140ish grain bullets. Just my opinion. Light recoil and flat shooting. Bucks wind well but yet again it's only 600 yards. Maybe look into a 20" heavy barrel. Shorter barrels tend to be more accurate in my experience. They have less vibration/ barrel whip. I would not mind trying the new 135 grain Berger's. If building it in 308 Win and only out to 600 yards you could go with some 155 grainish bullets. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Recent Posts