“best” long action option

You do not analyze actions by building a hunting rifle and shooting it. You do it by understanding what design aspects contribute to accuracy, and measuring out 100s of actions to see a trend in who can consistently produce an action thats straight and true. It is my full time business to analyze actions and find the very best to build my rifles off of, because they have to win matches at the highest level. Not understanding the difference doesn't mean there isn't one.

Absolutely gospel!!!

Absolutely gospel!!!

Except neither of you can prove that one shoots better than the other in a hunting rifle application...I know both of you are pretty smart and still can't prove it, so that proves my point better than anything else.

I don't give a flying rats *** about a BR rifle.

For those of us that appreciate the small differences that contribute to accuracy which are the best actions? I might do that single shot to shoot really long bullets that would give magazine length issues. If there's 1.5 inches of bullet out of the case it would be easy to mess with neck tension and concentricity.

I've heard Bat actions are near if not tops. What else is in the same class or close?

Taking a HUNTING rifle and shooting it off a bench for accuracy, a person might be able to tell the difference between one action or the other as it affects accuracy. However, there are too many variables to say for sure if it is the action, barrel or shooter affecting accuracy. Also, in a hunting situation where shooting positions and etc. are not so ideal, I don't think a person can tell the difference between a custom vs a factory trued action in affecting accuracy. Just my humble opinion.

gentlemen...quit harping on HUNTING rifles. it is NOT WHAT HE ASKED ABOUT.

part 2...the op did not ask about the best HUNTING RIFLE action or accuracy.
you hunters can leave the conversation
HE ASKED ABOUT A FUN RIFLE.
put on your accuracy hats the subject of a fun rifle

once again your OPINON does NOT fit the question.
this is not about hunting. so please quit or leave.
Except neither of you can prove that one shoots better than the other in a hunting rifle application...I know both of you are pretty smart and still can't prove it, so that proves my point better than anything else.

I don't give a flying rats --- about a BR rifle.

I don't give a flying rats --- about a BR rifle

Exactly why you don't get it!! I was the same way until I wanted to make a better rifle than the one I made the day before, the ONLY way your going to prove what matters is to build a Bench gun and experiment where you have a standard and can measure the difference. I built and shoot a br rifle so I can put that knowledge back into a hunting rifle. Ya most won't be able to weed out the difference in a hunting application but that doesn't mean it's not there!!

gentlemen...quit harping on HUNTING rifles. it is NOT WHAT HE ASKED ABOUT.

part 2...the op did not ask about the best HUNTING RIFLE action or accuracy.
you hunters can leave the conversation
HE ASKED ABOUT A FUN RIFLE.
put on your accuracy hats the subject of a fun rifle
I don't believe he defined Fun rifle as being a "hunting" style or benchrest rifle that I read. Maybe you should go back and reread his initial post

If you want to overpay for a name and "cool factor" at the range then go right ahead.[/QUOTE]

If your just talking short range or long range plinking, yes your Rem hunting rifle will shoot "good enough". I get people bring me 300 rums, 338-378 mark 5's, savage 338 Lapua's ect. to do load development and drop charts because they think they have a 1000 yard elk gun. When I take them out to the range and shoot 1000 and 1200 gongs I usually end up telling them "No". This rifle just don't cut it for long range hunting. Build a custom rifle. 1/4 inch 100 yard groups mean nothing at long range. I have some very accurate Rem actions, but I don't use any of them for long range hunting. I prefer single shot custom. Plus they just a lot smoother cycling, bolt lift and extraction.

Anyone interested enough in this stuff knows better than to test components on platforms that induce error. Sierra tests bullets in a rail gun in a tunnel, because they want to test the bullet, not the shooter or other input. More accurate is more accurate, and your not going to learn the difference with a hunting rifle off a bipod. Again, the OP asked best, not adequate for the task. Like it or not, all this stuff comes from BR.

I agree 100% with Alex. I follow everything BR guys are doing. Does it mean I am going to carry a 20lbs rifle with a front and rear rest into the field? Absolutely not but I do completely understand they are pushing the limits continually and I feel we owe it to the game we pursue if we intend to shoot at them long range. I will be learning until I die.