Zeroing NF scope with 40 moa NF rail ?

Down Under Hunter

I have a new 338 rifle that has a NF 5.5-22 x56 NXS scope. The rifle also has a 40 MOA tappered NF rail.

I have never owned a rifle with either a dial up scope or tappered rail, so I just want to get clear on the prep work when sighting it in.

I want to zero the gun for 300 M and have maximum elevation adjustment available to me left in the tank.

I will use this rifle with exbal PDA support and plan on entering sight in conditions on the day. Then once the gun is at the appropriate height at 100 m, take it to 300m to verify and check against the PDA ?

Then if this info is good, I plan on picking a dead calm day and shooting a spaced 10 shot group at 800 M. I will enter daily conds into the PDA and using the average impact point of the group, enter the plus or minus MOA into the validate trajectory section in options. This then will adjust all ranges accordingly in the softwear ??

Is there anything I have missed, or am I on the right track ?

Do you have the scope dialled right down to start with ?

I plan on validating all ranges, but want to short track things as mush as possible to get the gun around the mark.

Just new to this setup so any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

This is much more simple than that, your rifle will come with a chart and the velocity on the chart needs to be written into the exbal program. Zero at 100, enter in your conditions and dial up according to the drop chart it gives you. You will then have to validate at distances but will find that it will be extreamly close. Don't be to concerned about maximum elevation adjustment with a 300 yard zero. Even with a 100 yard zero you should have plenty of elevation adjustment for 2000 yards. I recomend a 100 zero as it is easier to find 100 to confirm zero. If you want to carry a 300 yard zero in the field just dial up to 300 and carry.

Last edited:
we're assuming that he can zero at 100 yards. don't know how much travel that NF has but with a 40 base, he might be pushing it. i only have 34 moa in my base and i can't zero at 400. of course this is with a 6-20, 1" tube luppy. i know he has considerably more adjustment with the NF, but i thought i'd mention it.

The 5.5X22 Nightforce has 100 MOA of verticle adjustment and 60 MOA of windage .... This should be enough.....
thumb.gif

He will have plenty of room, I have set several up like this. My main point was that even if the zero setting for 100 yards was 20-30 moa off the bottom he will still have 70-80 moa of adjustment or about 2000 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.