20 moa or 40 moa rail?

Petersen

Alright, I am trying to figure out which rail will best suit a new rifle that is coming.

338/300 rum - planning on shooting 300 SMK at 2800.

The scope is a Swarovski 6-24 PH. 1/6 MOA clicks. This scope has 43 MOA elevation which is 239 clicks according to a person I spoke to at Swaro.

I entered the load info in a ballistics calculator and assuming a 300 yard zero, I will need 126 clicks to get it out to 1000 yds. Seems like 20 MOA should be plenty but I am assuming there is a way to figure exactly what you will be working with and what is needed. Just having a hard time thinking my way through it. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

If the scope only has 43 moa of adjustment I would go with a 20 moa rail. The 20 moa rail would put you close to bottoming the scope out and a 40 moa rail you would not be able to have a 100 yard 0

Shawn Carlock put a 40 moa rail on my edge. It has a Nightforce 5-22 on top. He said it would allow me to dial 2000 yards for some fun. Everything he has said the gun could do, it does ! If you are not going past 1000 20 will be fine though . I was hammering a 1530 yard gong a few days back, and I know the gun has more range within it. It really depends if you want to stretch the guns potential ?

A nightforce 5.5x22 has about 100 moa of elevation adjustment so you can get away with a 40 moa rail and the nightforce is a good choise for long range hunting and shooting.

With Nightforce having about 100 MOA, do you think when the lady at Swaro told me 43 MOA she meant it was in one direction? This scope has a 30mm tube as well. I wouldn't think there would be that much of a difference between the scopes, but then again, maybe that is why everyone likes them so much.

Petersen, that is total adjustment. Windage is even worse (like 25 moa) but its not likely you'd ever use 12 1/2 moa for hunting purposes (at least I hope not).

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.