Rem 700 #6-40 rail/optic screws

hemiford

Are there pic rails available that have #8-40 screws instead of the #6-40 ?

If so, I imagine enlarging the holes in the receiver is a smith operation. Is this a common mod ?
And/Or even adding a locating dowel pin ?

Yes and yes. I actually just picked up a Leupold MK4 rail that will utilize either 8-40 or 6-48 screws.

It is definitely a gunsmith operation IMHO. Of which, I've had a couple of my 700's opened up & rethreaded. I prefer the larger screw for a heavy recoiling magnum or even a lighter rifle that might get beat up on a horse or SXS while hunting. Extra insurance as I see it.

Here's who does mine:

t

Are there pic rails available that have #8-40 screws instead of the #6-40 ?
Seekins sells both #6 and #8 rails. I highly recommend them, they're what's on most of my factory Remington actions now.

If so, I imagine enlarging the holes in the receiver is a smith operation. Is this a common mod ?
You can do anything with a tap and time. But it's not something I'd do without a mill personally - the small amount of increase over the existing hole lends itself to using an endmill rather than a drill bit to get a clean hole cut.

Edit: It's awesome that the LRI link Outlaw put up mentioned that they use endmills to cut the larger holes. That's the kind of attention to detail that makes some shops better than others.