Zeiss VM/V or Nightforce NXS

dmgreene

Well I've been lurking around here for about a year and I finally decided to register. This site has been very interesting and informative. Heres the question. I had my mind set on a 3.5x15x50 or 56 Nightforce NXS, then I laid my hands on Zeiss VM/V 6x24x56 target with mildot that was very nice to say least and at a very good price. I haven't heard much on the the upper end Zeisses on this site. What I want to know is are the mechanics of the Zeiss as good as the Nightforce; tracking,return to zero, etc? If I'm going to spend this much money I want to get it right the first time. Any comments, experiences, or thoughts are welcome.
Thanks DMG

the night force is pretty much bullet proof for ruggedness. the glass is good but Im not saying that others arent as good. If you look at the adjustment, that is where they smoke the crap out of the competition.

Between the two Id go NXS or Leupold Mk4. Ill take rock solid reliability/repeatablity over slightly "better" glass any day.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Between the two Id go NXS or Leupold Mk4. Ill take rock solid reliability/repeatablity over slightly "better" glass any day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Leupold Mk4 isn't in the same league optically as the NXS
or VM/V. No sense in spending the same $$ on a Mk4...

[/ QUOTE ]

I respectfully disagree of you optical assements between the NXS and MK4. I have/have had both and cant really tell any difference. I can maybe give a very slight edge to the NXS, but not near enough to say that is isnt in the same leauge.

The Zeiss Divari line has EXCELLENT glass. Which is undoubtly better than Leupold/NXS glass, but you talkin ALOT more cash. IMO, if cash is no object, one would be better serverd with a S&B, USO.

DMG

I doubt you would be dissapointed with either choice, both are excellent. Zeiss have a long established reputation for excellent optical quality and of late have started to offer some useful reticles having added to the more traditional European types once offered.

That said the NXS scopes are rugged, offer excellent reticles and great adjustments, i think it would be hard to fault them, at the end of the day it may well come down to personal preference, kind of like trying to compare an apple to an orange.

I have scopes by both the makers you mention and am happy with either, although I do tend to use the rifle with the 5.5-22 NXS quiter a bit more these days.

if you only want to do it once and zeiss level go S&B and be done mech. and glass top notch not knocking the nf just my opion
dsmpics054.jpg

Zeiss superior optically and just as durable, or mine is anyway. My 6x24 has been through about 640 rds so far of an unbreaked lapua.

Thanks guys for the replies. I know that the Zeiss glass is better than the Nightforce but I didn't want to trade off better optics at the expense of durability and precise tracking. I just had not heard a lot about the VM/V's and was wondering if there was reason that many folks weren't using them other than the price. With this year's price hike on the Nightforces theres not that much difference in the $$$ anymore. Again, thanks for all the replies and information.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.