zeiss duralyt or nightforce nxs

overbo

Looking for some input on 2 scopes,

I'm topping my 300 win w/ a somewhat compact but 650 yrd capable optic.

I wanted to be less than 14'' long

40MM to 50mm bell and 30mm tube(have talley rings)

Weight under 24oz

Love the innovation of the NF 2.5X10X42MM but am having a difficult time w/ the added expense for less quality glass when compared to the Zeiss(so I've read). I was thinking w/ the Zeiss 3x12x50mm I could get custom turrets build and get the best of both worlds.

This rifle is a hunting setup for muleys and whitetails. It's a very lightweight rig (Bansner Ti 700 Sheep hunter). Some guidance is very welcomed

I think that I personally like the glass of the Nightforce better than the duralyt and at least you'll already have an MOA turret already on it. You can also get a custom turret for the Nightforce made as well without having to send the scope to the company to have it retrofitted. Another option would be to upgrade to the Zeiss Victory HT 3-12x56mm. That scope is phenomenally bright and clear compared to both the Nightforce and the Duralyt, plus you can get it with a turret already installed. Good luck, either way I don't think that you will be disappointed!

Mac

I have owned several Nightforce and Zeiss scopes. I think the Nightforce can keep up with the European glass up until about 10 power, once you get up in the 15-25 power I personally think the Zeiss becomes the clear winner as far as glass is concerned. Since your looking at the 10 power Nightforce I don't think your eyes would be able to say that the Zeiss is any "better". I believe the Duralyt is still part of the Conquest line so my vote would be for the Nightforce but I don't think you would be disappointed either way. Nightforce are as tough as they come and can take as much abuse that is thrown at them and still be spot on. +1 for the Victory HT as Mac mentioned. And this is just my opinion not trying to ruffle any Zeiss guys feathers. Because I currently have 3 so you can say i'm a Zeiss guy to..

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.