ZEISS Introduces The All-New Conquest V4 Family of Riflescopes

Just one nit pick
I love my HD5 3-15
I think it is 44mm objective?
With my short neck, a 50 or 56mm does not work for me unless i have an adjustable comb on the stock.

While this might not affect normal body shapes as much as it does for me, it is a consideration for compact neck guys.

Where can I buy up a few HD5's?
Not sure where you can still find HD5's because they're discontinued. That said, the 4-16 V4 is a 44mm objective. Very low profile. And it's not just your short neck, most of us need some extra height added to the stock to get a good cheek weld with a 50mm or 56mm objective.

LOL!
My wife says my ear lobes touch my shoulders and my knuckles drag. Anyone know a good surgeon that can cut off my earlobes?

The large objectives IMO was a marketing initiative to sell more scopes. The quality of glass over the past 30 years has solved light issues for most legal hunting situations. Larger tubes are great for more adjustment but a 20 MOA base will solve most issues.

When they were talking about 5hd were they talking about the old ziess hd5 or the new leupold vx5hd?

It sure does.....
BUT for hunting rifles, I liked the HD5 1" tube and only 44mm objective for low mounting and light weight. 3x was just about low enough to use in heavy woods and 15x was adequate for any mountain or prairie shot. For light weight HUNtING guns I always prefer a smaller scope.

The new V4 has a 30 mm tube and 50mm objective. IMO 50mm objectives make any "versatile hunting" rifle to heavy and bulky. The HD5 hit my sweet spot. It allowed 7.5 lb total package custom build 270 WSM my favorite purely big game hunting rifle.

Don't get me wrong, I have a dozen scopes with 30mm tubes and 50 or 56mm objective. They are limited to being mounted on varmint, F Class, and specialized lining open country hunting. I believe I have 6 each NSX 5-22 that rest on such rigs. 30 mm give you way more elevation adjustment for long range. I limit game to 400 yards so a 1" is adequate for that.

Don't let my wife know but I have scopes from pretty much every manufacturer and have bought them each for a specific purpose. The 2 Zeiss I own are awesome pieces of equipment. Unfortunately IMO, they got it perfect with the HD5 and they missed the boat going to 30mm/50mm combo for all around hunting. It will be great on specialized big heavy hunting rigs.

I am trying to find a couple new/old stock HD5's for future products. I hope Zeiss folks are following this.

Cheers!

As it so happens the 4-16 V4 has a 44mm objective lens. And the 30mm tube gives a huge adjustment range. I got to review both this and the 6-24x50 and they are very nice!

It sure does.....
BUT for hunting rifles, I liked the HD5 1" tube and only 44mm objective for low mounting and light weight. 3x was just about low enough to use in heavy woods and 15x was adequate for any mountain or prairie shot. For light weight HUNtING guns I always prefer a smaller scope.

The new V4 has a 30 mm tube and 50mm objective. IMO 50mm objectives make any "versatile hunting" rifle to heavy and bulky. The HD5 hit my sweet spot. It allowed 7.5 lb total package custom build 270 WSM my favorite purely big game hunting rifle.

Don't get me wrong, I have a dozen scopes with 30mm tubes and 50 or 56mm objective. They are limited to being mounted on varmint, F Class, and specialized lining open country hunting. I believe I have 6 each NSX 5-22 that rest on such rigs. 30 mm give you way more elevation adjustment for long range. I limit game to 400 yards so a 1" is adequate for that.

Don't let my wife know but I have scopes from pretty much every manufacturer and have bought them each for a specific purpose. The 2 Zeiss I own are awesome pieces of equipment. Unfortunately IMO, they got it perfect with the HD5 and they missed the boat going to 30mm/50mm combo for all around hunting. It will be great on specialized big heavy hunting rigs.

I am trying to find a couple new/old stock HD5's for future products. I hope Zeiss folks are following this.

Cheers!

As it so happens the 4-16 V4 has a 44mm objective lens. And the 30mm tube gives a huge adjustment range. I got to review both this and the 6-24x50 and they are very nice!
As it happens a 30mm tube which misses the point of a 1"

Sorry guys

Big miss .....

Sorry guys

Big miss .....
Sorry

Sorry guys

Big miss .....
Hey fans of this great forum.

It is meant to share experiences of shooters and hunters so we can all share our experiences and help each other.

I own many 30mm tubes for the adjustment for anything we can adjust to for come ups.

My F Class wears a scope my wife never find out what I paid for it.

I think I have one of every NSX ever made on built for purpose rigs.

For under 8 lb carry rigs, the 1" configuration for shooting to 600 yards the Zeiss 1" HD5 hit the sweet spot.

If I want 601 yards, there is rig with a different scope. And a bunch more weight. Not a carry rifle.

The 1" HD5 was a perfect scope for THAT configuration.

The great part of our sport is that we can build a few differnent rigs to fit each and every hunting situations we choose to enjoy.

I am too old to defend dozens of configurations I enjoy today.

BUT I want everyone to pursue this sport and keep it alive and growing for the next generations!

Shoot often and shoot straight

Not sure how I offended you? It wasn't my intention. I was simply sharing what I know and like about the scopes. I don't mind the extra 3 ounces and 2.5mm of extra mounting height. But I like to have all my rifles set up for the off chance of a long range opportunity in any situation. That in no way was meant to be a criticism of your preferences. Carry on!

Thanks!
Every rig has a perfect fit.
Every hunting situation has a differnent need.

Sure is great we are not all shooting 1903 Springfield with open sights

Carry on and enjoy every moment in the field with the EXACT setup for our passion.

Had my 4-16x44 out the other day. Really like this scope! Zeroed it at 100, shot a few groups at 100, dialed in for 200 and rang some steel. Would have loved to dialed out farther but I'm new to this range and have to qualify to shoot past 200 and havent had a chance yet. This is a fairly thick rail with medium rings, could definitely be mounted lower.
IMG_20180214_141108.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.