Zeiss Conquest HD5 5-25x50

mosh338

I just bought a new Zeiss HD5 5-25x50 with R Z 800. It seems like a fantastic scope with great glass. I wanted some advice on which gun I should put it on.

I currently have a rem 700 300 win mag CDL hunting rifle that I use to shoot plains game up to 600 yards. I currently have a Leupold VX3 6.5-20 x 40 on this rifle. I was thinking of replacing this scope with the zeiss to take advantage of the quick holdover reticle for long range hunting. I also have a Tikka T3 Varmint 243 that I use for shooting paper to 500 yards which.

I am considering putting the leupold on the 243 and the zeiss on the 300 Win Mag. what are your thoughts?

I would get on the Zeiss website and see which cartridge best matches up to the scopes holdovers. I was originally looking at scopes with holdovers until I realized those holdovers can be anywhere from 3 yards to 20 yards+ off and that your still going to need to make up a drop chart for reference. Going with the standard 20 plex when I finally get around to ordering mine. Heres the link to the Zeiss rapid z calculator. Hope that helps ya out.

Zeiss Ballistic Calculator

just a quick run through of the two different cartridges, id go with the 300 mag if I were going to put it on one of them. it seems the ballistics of the 300 match up much better with the holdovers than the 243 does.

just a quick run through of the two different cartridges, id go with the 300 mag if I were going to put it on one of them. it seems the ballistics of the 300 match up much better with the holdovers than the 243 does.

You could make it work for either rifle, but yes it matches up real well for alot of 300 Mag loads.The OP states that the .243 is used for targets & if that's the case I see no need to use the Z ret. in that application.

Thanks

Im looking forward to fitting it on the 300 Win Mag to see how it shoots. Has anyone used this type of reticle? Will be good to know how accurate it is.

According to the calculator the optimal mag is 20x which is perfect for the type of shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.