New Zeiss Conquest HD5 5-25x50 rifle scope.

I'm awaiting a 5x25x50mm tomorrow. If what's you say about the glass quality is true I'll be one disappointed person .... Main reason I ordered it cause of Zeiss legendary glass ! They say they added some new coating previously reserved for there Upper end scopes . Tied with Vortex ! It can't be it just can't be............... ****

Everyone has different eyes so hopefully it will be better for you. I judge the clarity by looking at bullet holes in paper and words on signs, targets etc at 200- 400 yards. I shoot alot of 1.5" orage target dots with a black triangle in the center and I can not make out the black on the orange, it just is not sharp enough, I have been able to adjust the eyepiece and parallex to make it show up somewhat but then the edges of the orange get a little fuzzzy. My vortex and the zeiss are about the same...I can hardly tell where the holes are and sometimes not at all depending on the air. The leupold 4.5-14 and the Huskemaw on 15 power show sharp edges of the holes and easy to tell where they are on the paper. I tried adjusting the parallex and the eyepiece to get the perfect combination but just not happening for me with this scope. I am not saying it is bad, I just expected it to be sharper than it is. I have not owned a zeiss with this much magnification so I can not compare it.

I like everything about the scope, really like the turrets how they are exposed but only move if you lift the turret. I also like the thickness of the reticle and the parallex adjustment.

gary

What's the big deal with "Zero Stop " Just remove the little screw,right down where you were last and enjoy 65MOA of adjustment.

I agree. ZS is is something I would want in a situation where someone is shooting back. For sporting use its more of a luxury, certainly not at the top of my list in features.

When you consider that the goal for most of us that hunt at long range is to put one cold bore first round through the vital organs of a game animal the zero stop becomes a very important part for a lot of us. With the zero stop I can pull my rifle from my pack and without looking I can check my zero, I have not done this and shot at an animal using a hold over, after watching the shot go over I checked my zero stop and found I had my dial turn a few MOA. I use my rifle a lot and the dial does get turned from time to time, it's more than a convenience to know dang sure where my turret is at!! Counting revs and trying to keep track of them is something to do at the range but not so much while hunting, after using optics with a functional zero stop it's near the top of the criteria I and a lot of others look for in a long range optic.

I won't argue any of your points. For the same price I'll take a ZS too. For the extra money I'll invest in a scope with more elevation per rotation or better glass.
When I get ready to take a long shot on game I take just as much time as I do when I shoot steel. Range it, get on the bipod, check the turrets and dial. If the extra time I take to check things over costs me an opportunity at a shot so be it.
I also don't use kentucky windage and don't range with the reticle. So thats not an issue for me. I just got my Zeiss HD5 yesterday and I'm leaving the ZS in because its going on a rifle that doesn't need more than 16 MOA for its purposes.
No right no wrong, just my preference.

The HD5 has lockable turrets,have to pull them up to adjust then push down and there locked and secure like Fort Knox..............Jr Solocam what caliber is your going on ? Mine is a 6x284 and its also plenty flat shooting.

Can one of you guys post a good pic of the turret locked and unlocked? I like the locking turrets especially on the windage since that is the one that still will turn and then you have to get back on. I understand locking turrets but I also know how hard on things I am and just how easy I can get something out of wack hence the relentless questioning. I've honestly wanted a Zeiss optic forever but the odd turret has kept me from it but now they have things spinning with the rest of the world I'm looking at one hard. The zero stop is not so bad since it's so anemic on elevation I would run right at the bottom anyway which in effect is a zero stop.

This is a pic of the turrets. The elevation turret is in the down (locked position) the windage is in the up (unlocked position)
I am really liking the scope. If it was a tad clearer and the ZS did not limit elevation it would be perfect for me. I can dial it up 16 MOA and back down and it returns perfect everytime so far.

zeisshd52_zps00a6a2b9.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts