Zeiss Conquest for LR

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by Ovando, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Ovando

Ovando New Member

I'm in the process of setting up a 7RUM for long range hunting this season. I originally wanted to use the new Vortex Scope but time is running out and I can't seem to locate one. As an alternate choice I was thinking about the Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14 with the z800 reticle. I would appreciate any feedback from anyone using this system.

2. matt_3479

matt_3479 Well-Known Member

talk to scott at liberty optics, im pretty sure hes got the vortex

3. Dr. Vette

Dr. Vette Well-Known Member

The 4-16x50 LR is available many places, including Cameraland NY, one of our sponsors. Excellent scope; I'l be mounting Dad's on his rifle soon. He purchased one at a local dealer 3 weeks ago.

The x44 will still be a while before it hits the shelves. Dad called Vortex to ask before he bought his.

4. skuna boy

skuna boy Active Member

x44? what's that going to be?

5. Dr. Vette

Dr. Vette Well-Known Member

6. Ovando

Ovando New Member

That's exactly what I thought the 44mm still has not been released for sale. I'd rather stay away from the 50mm objective.

7. tpbscha

tpbscha Well-Known Member

The Zeiss Rapid Z is great for hunting, but the reticle subtension is a little heavy for precision paper shooting. I used my 4.5-14X44 Rapid Z 800 in South Africa on a 338 RUM and it worked great. I just ordered a Viper HS LR 4-16X50 for a different rifle. Anxious to try it out.

8. Tikkamike

Tikkamike Well-Known Member

I agree it is a little thicker than I prefer but I have one and I can shoot excellent groups with it it just takes a little getting used to. I wouldnt say it is any heavier than a heavy duplex by leupold though. as far as using the rifle on a 7 rum I think its a great choice. I had mine on a 25-06 till I wore it out then I put it on my 300 RUM and it is perfoming fantastically. I use several different long range scopes and in my opinion inside 800 yards the Rapid Z-800 can not be beat. its just way too easy and handy

9. Plade

Plade Active Member

I use the Zeiss 4x14x44 with a rapid Z800 on a 260AI down here in New Zealand. I find the scope is very good and accurate with the range marks out to 600yds, however the more difficult shots at 800 leave me scratching my head. I have used the Zeiss "optimise power " function with a number of tuning steps but have not yet cracked this one!!

I guess the moral of the story is to be aware that the Z800 reticule system may not necessarily match all calibers - even with tuning - out at extreme range.

10. cummins cowboy

cummins cowboy Well-Known Member

its too bad ziess doesn't make a 30mm conquest.

11. TG.

TG. Member

I have a couple of rapid Z 600 and two Kales with TDS. Personally I prefer the TDS over Rapid Z series. The Z reticle is smaller than TDS and somewhat harder to use or see? Currently have a Swaro Z5 3.5-18 x44 with their christmas tree on a Magnum Research 300WM. This scope is very impressive and easy to use. Much larger tree, similar to TDS. Easier to see bars. If money not issue that is a great scope but a little pricey. I will not buy any more of the Rapid Z scopes; not that they are bad, just in my opinion harder to see/use. I have zero experience with Vortex. Good Luck, TG