Youth rifle 243 or 300blk?

2 the Plug

Would you buy a custom stock to get your boy shooting a 243 or 300blk?
Looking to buy a Boyd's At One adjustable stock to put on a rifle for my son to use until he moves up. I have a Ruger American Ranch 300blk with Muzzle Brake and Rem Model 7 243 that will both be his someday but the adjustment on the Boyd's stock would get him from 12&1/2" LOP to 14" LOP. Both are factory stock rifles currently with typical not compact stocks.
Ruger and Remington youth stocks are hard to come by and for the price may want Boyd's anyways. So if I am going to spend the money, 243 or 300blk to start on coyotes to whitetails in Missouri?
Thanks in advance

Either rifle will work, if average size kid 243 will be fine if small 300blk would get my nod. 243 will be more versital overall, if his average shot will be inside 150yd 300blk gets the nod. I grew up with 243 have killed everything deer size and smaller with it.

Bought a youth Remington model 7 in .243 for my son to start with and then on to my daughter. They killed both mule deer bucks and cow elk with that rifle. Shoots a Sierra 85 grain hollow point very well, all the deer were shot under 200 yards, as well as most of the elk but 1 cow was shot on the far side of 300 yards. Funny thing about kids, they know nothing about velocity, foot pounds of energy or kinetic energy for the most part but they do know if they practice out to set limits, they know they can make the shot and put the animal down quickly. So I guess from experience, the .243 would get my vote

243 every time. Groundhogs to elk But why not just get another gun? Kids are awful hard on guns. Grab a cheap youth sized base model like an axis2 in whatever caliber you like. I'd look for 7mm08 or 243 and load it down a bit to take the sting out of it.

My kids shoot revolvers because they dont like being bucked in the face, and I put them in places they will have close shots. Just another idea.
Miss priss prefers my Redhawk with 240gr gold dots.
20220102_091330.jpg

Last edited:
I've posted on here before I think how when my grandson was 8 and wanted to hunt. we got him a youth model Remington .243 and a lpvo. When he came over he would shoot at the 8 inch steel plate at 100 yards that is set up in the back yard. when he consistently could hit it, he was ready to go hunting. His first time out he shot a doe and has went on to kill other deer since then.

I'm a 243 fan, have seen animals hit the dirt faster with it than magnums at times! fastest I ever saw a big black bear drop was a 243 at 180 yards. Also watched a big whitetail buck flop over backwards, horns stuck in dirt, legs pointed in the air like a cartoon haha. Anyways, I agree the rifle should fit. My only caution on the boyds stock is it will be heavy to pack around for some kids. This helps recoil though so I guess it depends on your boy. I do like the idea of finding something cheap and simple also! I saw a New England Handy Rifle in 243 the other day for $229 with a scope on it. Something like that may be a good idea also. Whatever "cheap rifle" you find now can always become a "truck gun" down the road :) Anyways, have fun shopping for a stock or a rifle for your kiddo, and don't let us talk you out of what you would really like to do!

Would you buy a custom stock to get your boy shooting a 243 or 300blk?
Looking to buy a Boyd's At One adjustable stock to put on a rifle for my son to use until he moves up. I have a Ruger American Ranch 300blk with Muzzle Brake and Rem Model 7 243 that will both be his someday but the adjustment on the Boyd's stock would get him from 12&1/2" LOP to 14" LOP. Both are factory stock rifles currently with typical not compact stocks.
Ruger and Remington youth stocks are hard to come by and for the price may want Boyd's anyways. So if I am going to spend the money, 243 or 300blk to start on coyotes to whitetails in Missouri?
Thanks in advance
243 is the better choice IMHO

Do you reload?
How old is is your son ?
Don't reload yet. Wanting to start but haven't made the time or invested in the supplies for centerfire. Gave my shot shell setup to my cousin.
My son is 4 now but with rising costs of everything I was going to try and get the youth stock now. @Lefty G-gear 's model 7 got me thinking of the Boyd's stock.
My kids will all start on 22LR & 22WMR but at 7-9 (if they still enjoy) I figured I would move him up gradually. Already own the 243 and 300blk so was trying to avoid a whole new caliber. I assume he can stick with either caliber for whitetails or less under 200yds. He can move to larger calibers as he grows up.
I am trying to avoid from the .22LR Marlin to 30-06 Rem Classic without recoil pad like we grew up…