Youth 6.8 spc II bolt action build help needed!!

Southernboy2563

Ok someone might have a better idea but in my mind this is what I'm thinkin for a first rifle for my 5 year old son. I'm wanting to build him a bolt action 6.8 for recoil reasons and because I feel like with a 223 action with a lightweight 16"-18" barrel and a modified stock to fit him it would be perfect for whitetail deer in the east. Out deer don't get over 150 lbs live weight much unless it's a old mature buck. My question is I can't find much info on a build like this and what bolt face I should get to make this work. If another caliber might be better throw an idea out. Thanks in advance for the help

It has been done before. It's parent case is the 30 remington which has a .422 base. I guess you would need something like a .223 donor action and open up the bolt face a little or order a bolt from ptg. I personally don't see a problem with it myself. Sure there are better options but if that's what you want then do it. What about a 270 ihmsa?

What is a 270 ihmsa? The reason I want a 6.8 spc is for recoil reasons. I don't wanna scare him at a young age. He shoots a 22 fine now. I also thought about a 6.5 Grendel

It's similar to the spc. Stumbled across it one day. I have killed and know of plenty killed with a 22-250. If a larger projectile is wanted there is the 250-3000. I don't have many suggestions. Is a 243 two much. What I mean by that is most 243s I have shot have little recoil but I remember two rifles that surprised me.

I won't say better I'm always upgrading my beginner rifle, trying to find the right combo of heft/balance/power can be as simple or complex (expensive) as you desire.

I haven't been able to pick it up due to the holiday weekend, but I will be trying out the Ruger 77 Hawkeye Compact Rifle in 7.62x39 this season. I'm uncertain it will stay that caliber, unless it's a real tack driver it will get a new barrel in 6.5 Grendel. I've been looking for one for over a year. Not many out there, and a little more money for one OK, but some prices are jacked up beyond reason.

It will likely get an MPI micro weight ambidextrous thumbhole stock, and a light weight optic of some kind.

I have a Remington SA with .223 bolt face. Same action so not much weight savings unless it's shaved by somebody that knows where the weight can be relieved from. Like has been said before so many after market parts for the Remingtons, and a detachable magazine puts you in control of the ammo. I prefer the safety and extractor on the Rugers. Pierce makes a titanium, but have never returned my inquiries.

Single shots like the EABCO are good starters from a safety standpoint, if they make one in caliber you like. A lot of discussions on other threads about minimum calibers. I would choose based somewhat on bullets available. It's nit picking but I'd rather have a 6.5 or 7mm. One thing I emphasize with the kids is when you are a 200 yard shooter we'll talk 200 yard rifles, but I try to set them up for success early on.

All kids are different, and constantly changing/growing, and hunting styles vary. In the age group your speaking of I like to be under 6 lbs total if they are carrying the rifle. The challenge is taking the weight from where it's not useful so you can put it back where it is useful.

Suppressed is a good idea, when I know finished muzzle diameter this rifle will get one.

Is a 243 two much. What I mean by that is most 243s I have shot have little recoil but I remember two rifles that surprised me.

The rifle I've used the longest for beginners is a 6mm Remington, and initially its a bit much. I'd rather have .223 size cartridge opened to something 6mm-7mm. size than the .243 class cartridges.

Ruger Hawkeye compact in 44mag.

An excellent off the rack choice for a deer rifle (or bear). More accurate than most believe. We had a little semi auto Ruger the kids loved, but the semi's and kids make me nervous, I have a 96/44 it works very well.

I expanded the parameters a bit, including small game in my reasoning. The .44's will bounce a bit when shooting ground squirrels and such.

I forgot about a 44 mag. I might look into one of those too. Shot placement has to be dead on with one of those though and the range wouldn't be near as far as a 6.8.

I forgot about a 44 mag. I might look into one of those too. Shot placement has to be dead on with one of those though and the range wouldn't be near as far as a 6.8.

I just figured that for a 5yr old 100 - 150yrds would be considered long range lol. I was at the range with a fella who had one of these for the new Ohio rifle regulations he was banging steel out to 300 I don't think it has much energy out there but i don't really know. But inside 200yrds it was deadly accurate and a lot of fun, it wasn't intimidating at all.

I've found them very lethal, and trajectory does leave a bit to be desired.

Keep it fun whatever choice you make.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.