You find this bull, what do you do?

Gamesniper19

Found this bull adjacent to some private ground. What do you see in him that gives you concern and what do you do?

Attachments

• IMG_3760.jpg
    IMG_3760.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 1,323
Looks as if he has some sort of disease or tick infestation .. loss of extreme amounts of body weight and loss of all his hair in neck shoulder area points too ticks! seen it a lot moose. call the F&G and they will come put him out of his suffering and more than likely lab test him too see if its a spreadable disease or not. ive been wrong before ,,, shame too see it in my favorite critters

Looks as if he has some sort of disease or tick infestation .. loss of extreme amounts of body weight and loss of all his hair in neck shoulder area points too ticks! seen it a lot moose. call the F&G and they will come put him out of his suffering and more than likely lab test him too see if its a spreadable disease or not. ive been wrong before ,,, shame too see it in my favorite critters
I would tend to agree and it is a distinct possibility that ticks could be the culprit although if he were infested throughout the summer, which would be likely to make him lose that much weight, his rack would have likely suffered as well.

I wonder if he was injured in the rut or maybe was shot and has in infection

Almost looks like he has mange
And I agree about putting him down, I'd likely call game and fish to see if I could shoot it, I'd spend my tag, but I don't know that I'd trust the meat, so I'd see if there was a way to get it done without being cited for meat waste.

See about taking it to them or having them come out.

There are so many things out there affecting wildlife......in the PNW hoof rot is wiping out elk. Our Deer populations was hit some years back with what I believe was called Loss of Hair Syndrome, or something like that. I saw deer that looked similar to this, and even some that down to bare skin in areas.......I even watched one at my house that survived and recovered from what looked much worse than this elk so there's hope! Wild animals can be very resilient! I see Hoof rot elk daily that the DFW ignores until they die, they will not put them out of their misery......It's sad. Last winter I watched a cow elk lay in the middle of a field during a snow storm because she couldn't get up and move to shelter.

Looks damaged....horn from fighting or an arrow or bullet....very sickly...matted hair and muscle loss means he's been sick quite some time...definitely malnourished...
Quite possibly gut shot....

Notify land owner...f&g job to dispatch it....

I can kill anything as long as I do not have to watch it suffer from my actions. I cannot watch anything suffer. (except wasps--not bees, but wasps. They hate me and I hate them.)

This is where I would hope that if a game official saw me do it, or there were other witnesses that called in and told the game officials that I had shot the animal and not tagged it, I would hope common sense and discretion would come into play.

I would seriously kill that bull as soon as humanly possible. I once watched a wounded (from a car hitting him) very small mule deer 2x2 buck sit on the side of the road for 4 days before a blizzard finally killed him. I can't get that thought out of my head. I was with the landowner and the property I was hunting was twenty miles away. The landowner told me that if I killed the wounded buck that I would have to tag it because so many people would see it happen. I didn't kill the little buck and eventually killed the largest mule deer of my quickly slipping away life.

No, I would not try to take the antlers. That would surely take away the common sense and discretion I would be hoping for. My actions would be purely ethical and humanitarian. And yes, I would keep my tag and try to fill it with a nice animal, and it would get the quick death it deserved. I already know what some will say about wounding the animal, but don't. I have NEVER, EVER wounded and lost an animal I have shot. Running 50 yards and dropping dead does not count as a wounded animal. Well, that is not completely true. I have wounded a fair number of ducks and dove.