Yet another DIY bedding question

Now I'm confused. I always thought the back of the lug was the side closest to the action. Either way, a pinch fit makes sense to me so it doesn't move around in the stock. I don't take my rifles apart unless I have to. Just me

When we say back of lug were not talking about the part that is on the action side. The part of the lug that recoil hits is commonly referred to as the front. Gunsmith talk.
Shep
So the front of the lug faces the front of the action, I'm calling BS.

" A rose by any other name...." fellas lets not quibble over small stuff. I think of archery with that sort of nomenclature. I can never remember which is the belly or the back of the bow.

@ 25wsm, If I'm getting this right, so far, you're recommending Pro-Bed 2000, only tape the bottom and follow The instructions from the link, even though he uses devcon not ProBed?

Also, I'd like your thoughts on pillars. I had previously assumed that since the stock has an aluminum block they were unneccessary.

The Franklin method works real good. I use the pro bed 2000 and the pro-bed pillers. Score hi has a system and it works good.

" A rose by any other name...." fellas lets not quibble over small stuff. I think of archery with that sort of nomenclature. I can never remember which is the belly or the back of the bow.

@ 25wsm, If I'm getting this right, so far, you're recommending Pro-Bed 2000, only tape the bottom and follow The instructions from the link, even though he uses devcon not ProBed?

Also, I'd like your thoughts on pillars. I had previously assumed that since the stock has an aluminum block they were unneccessary.
One more reply and then I will quit before I make someone mad. With an aluminum chasis or block I rough up the aluminum and bed right on the aluminum block-no need for pillars, that will basically hold the action up off the aluminum block. Which leaves most of the support on the two pillars when you tighten the action screws. The pillars wont shrink but the compound will, even if very minutely, cancelling the support of the aluminum block and the bedding.

One more reply and then I will quit before I make someone mad. With an aluminum chasis or block I rough up the aluminum and bed right on the aluminum block-no need for pillars, that will basically hold the action up off the aluminum block. Which leaves most of the support on the two pillars when you tighten the action screws. The pillars wont shrink but the compound will, even if very minutely, cancelling the support of the aluminum block and the bedding.
The compound shrinks very little. Check out the tds. It only shrinks .0006cm/cm. If that is still too much for you, do a two step bed. Rough bed, then skim bed later after full cure

My own thinking is that if the metal of the block does not extend thru the stock to contact with the bottom metal, then metal needs to be added so that there is an all metal column for the action screws to pass thru. If the bedding block does contact the bottom metal then there is no place to put a pillar.

Maybe I misunderstand the point of pillars, but to me they are so that when the action screws are tight it is all incompressible metal that the screws are tightening against. If anything between the bottom metal and the action is compressible (i.e. something not metal and/or something not specifically designed to compressively loaded) then the torque on the action screws becomes a very finicky variable.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts