DIY pillar bedding?

the way I see it the pliiers stop crushing of the stock.
The top of the pillers are the same as the bedding metral. I am no gun smith by no means. I did a home job to see if my rifle was worth any more work? And it was just got it back. FYI cut recrown,lap lugs,reset head space,triger job, When I picked it up got a new stock well used a take off in great shape. This time it going to the smith for piller bedding and float cut adjustable comb in to it. If I were to do any more work on it what would all of you sugest ?

Last edited:
great post and i have learned a ton. i have always been a fan of pillar bedding, and every gun i have done this to has benefitted from it by producing better accuracy. the thing i can really tell a difference with is when you take a gun apart, for cleaning, adjusting or whatever, you very seldom have to re-sight it in. everything stays the same. when you crank down on the action screws, they just stop. some rifles that are not pillar bedded seem like you could just keep tightning the crews until you suck them right thru the stock. AJ

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.