Yes I know yet another "WITB" scope thread

DartonJager

I am sorry to ask yet again for the bazillionth time, but I admittedly am limited in my knowledge of such scopes and have no practical first or even second hand experience to call upon, and after researching have become completely over whelmed and confused so this is what I am looking for in a long range scope:

>Application is for hunting deer and elk from 50-600 yards
>Will be used on a 300wsm and a 338wm
>Budget $600 or less
>Magnification prefered something like 3-10x40mm
>Must be quick and simple to use
>View through scope must be as uncluttered as possible.
>Reticle can't be to fine as to be hard to see in low light or thick woods.
>System must be as flexible as possible as I have had to make shots on deer and elk that varied from snap shots at 60 yards in extremely thick cover to well fast as I could as 400and thank God I made both.
>Must be as light as is possible
>Is SWFA's MIL-QUAD reticle system a great choice for a hunting application as I described?

I have been looking at and considering scopes from SWFA as I understand their MIL-QUAD reticle system more or less, but I am here because the members of this website have used and have far more experience using these types of scopes to make longer range shots on deer and elk that I likely ever will.

I have a range I can go to that maxes out at 700 yards so I can shoot as much as needed to get proficient and be competent to make longer range shots, I just need experienced information to help me decide on which type or types of distance compensating reticle system to consider.

The reticle doesn't have to be capable of actual range finding as I know that deer and elk's bodies dimensions may not lend themselves to a reticle system to be accurately ranged, but what do I know.

I also don't know if what I am asking for in a scope exists, and might have to accept I will have to use a LRF first the adjust my scope accordingly, but if such range finding reticles do exists which is the simplest and fastest to use in a hunting application, especially hunting out west.

Thanks for indulging yet another "which is best for me" scope question.
Art.

I am sorry to ask yet again for the bazillionth time, but I admittedly am limited in my knowledge of such scopes and have no practical first or even second hand experience to call upon, and after researching have become completely over whelmed and confused so this is what I am looking for in a long range scope:

>Budget $600 or less
>System must be as flexible as possible as I have had to make shots on deer and elk that varied from snap shots at 60 yards in extremely thick cover to well fast as I could as 400and thank God I made both.
>Is SWFA's MIL-QUAD reticle system a great choice for a hunting application as I described?

I have been looking at and considering scopes from SWFA as I understand their MIL-QUAD reticle system more or less, but I am here because the members of this website have used and have far more experience using these types of scopes to make longer range shots on deer and elk that I likely ever will.

I have a range I can go to that maxes out at 700 yards so I can shoot as much as needed to get proficient and be competent to make longer range shots, I just need experienced information to help me decide on which type or types of distance compensating reticle system to consider.

The reticle doesn't have to be capable of actual range finding as I know that deer and elk's bodies dimensions may not lend themselves to a reticle system to be accurately ranged, but what do I know.

I also don't know if what I am asking for in a scope exists, and might have to accept I will have to use a LRF first the adjust my scope accordingly, but if such range finding reticles do exists which is the simplest and fastest to use in a hunting application, especially hunting out west.

Art.

YES! The SWFAs are awesome scope for the money, in the 3-15x42, you have an option for SFP or FFP , MILs or MOA, just depends on personal preference.

[ame]https://youtu.be/V5Jld2GE3eY?t=1[/ame]

I have the 5-20 HD FFP on my .300 WSM and they are simply amazing.

>Budget $600 or less

Art.

YES! The SWFAs are awesome scope for the money, in the 3-15x42, you have an option for SFP or FFP , MILs or MOA, just depends on personal preference.

[ame]https://youtu.be/9fe4l_CAthI?t=2[/ame]

https://youtu.be/9fe4l_CAthI?t=2

Thank you for the reply, but can you offer some advice on how do I personally decide which reticle the SFP, FFP, or MOA is best for me to use in a hunting application? In other words what factors helped you decide on the reticle you choose?

Thank you for the reply, but can you offer some advice on how do I personally decide which reticle the SFP, FFP, or MOA is best for me to use in a hunting application? In other words what factors helped you decide on the reticle you choose?

Like I said it boils down to personal preference. Most of my scopes are SFPs; 2 of the last 3 scope purchased are FFPs and I'm having fun transitioning from SFP to FFP. This is one of the best video explanation I've seen ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/4XgugJSqpoE?t=2[/ame]

Choosing between MRADs vs MOA also boils down to personal preference.

Take a look at the Vortex Viper 6.5X20X44 PA. I use this in Mil dot with one of my rigs and it is one of the simplest and straight ahead scopes and very good quality. This is a SFP and will likely be best for you given your application. FFP's are better (in my opinion) for when you need to estimate range at all distances but most use a range finder and take that out of the equation, I prefer them (FFP) for LR work but have never really had a bad experience with SFP.

If I was in your position I would buy A Leupold 4.5-14x 40 or 50 with a Boone and Crocket or TMOA reticle.
The only difference between MIL and MOA is the distance your turrets move the reticle and the distance your reticle represents and the thickness of the reticle itself MIL being metric MOA being american "yards inches" it really comes down to what method of measurement you are used to and prefer.`
If you don't dial for shots I don't think it really matters might take a little extra thinking when sighting in but once you are sighted in shouldn't really matter.
I prefer SFP
1. I use a rangefinder so I don't need one for ranging But even if I did need to range most all SFP work the same as a FFP at one particular magnification setting.
2. I personally think the reticle on FFP is to fine at low power and to thick at high magnification.
3. For the most part FFP scopes are bigger bulkier and heavier and I personally like a more streamline rifle scope combo for hunting.
As for what reticle I suggested the Boone and Crocket or TMOA because with shooting practice you can determine what yardage each line or dot in the reticle represent at a particular magnification setting. And I don't feel either reticle is to busy.
If you are like me and most shots are within 300 yards it is mostly point and shoot no need to mess around with the scope. Any shots that are longer than that I have time to prep for the shot /range the animal, dial the scope, check wind things like that.

With a ffp the reticle is too fine to see on lower settings. If you use it for target at long range the reticle covers too much.

Pardon my ignorance, I misunderstood FFP and SFP as to be reticle types not focal plane. Based on my main application of hunting I would likely prefer SFP, what I wish to know is which reticle type would be better suited to a hunting application the MQDM SFP or the MQ SFP reticle.

I really like the MQDM's ranging system, but how would one assign the various aiming points to correspond to the points of impact at assorted ranges of say 100, 150, 200, 250 and so on out to 700-800 yards for a caliber of say 300 WSM? I suspect one would have to do so by trial and hopefully not much error.

I had a mil dot on a varmint rifle. 20X was my favorite so I shot at distance on that setting to see which dot corresponded to which distance. Worked quite well.

May want to take a look at our Toric 3-15x42mm T-Plex. TRACT is direct to consumer, so you basically are cutting out a lot of margin and getting better optics for less money
This Toric has Schott HT glass, 4" constant eye relief, glass etched reticle, zero stop, custom turret options, capped elevation turret that can be switched to exposed target turret, fully multicoated with a oil/water resistant coating. Coming out of the LOW factory in Japan which produces some of the best scopes out there.

Long winded, but getting a load more for the money. It would be a nice fit for your application. The T-plex has a thinner top post to aid in getting a full image, but thicker side and bottom posts to still draw yours eyes in when under darker conditions.

Heres a few reviews to check over as well:

The Genius of TRACT Optics - RifleShooter

The Optics Test: 14 New Riflescopes Reviewed, Ranked, and Rated | Outdoor Life

https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2016/12/28/hardware-tract-toric/

Feel free to send me a message as well.

Pardon my ignorance, I misunderstood FFP and SFP as to be reticle types not focal plane. Based on my main application of hunting I would likely prefer SFP, what I wish to know is which reticle type would be better suited to a hunting application the MQDM SFP or the MQ SFP reticle.

I really like the MQDM's ranging system, but how would one assign the various aiming points to correspond to the points of impact at assorted ranges of say 100, 150, 200, 250 and so on out to 700-800 yards for a caliber of say 300 WSM? I suspect one would have to do so by trial and hopefully not much error.

You are correct! Here's the link to the reticle substensions for ranging >>> SWFA SS Reticle Subtensions - The Optics Talk Forums

Below is an actual picture of my SWFA 5-20 HD FFP set at 5X looking at a 645 yard target (freeway signs). Sorry for the quality of the picture, it was take with my phone's camera.

5X%20FFP%203%20of%203_zpsqey12gua.jpg

With the right ballistic apps, you can make a cheat sheet for your drops or a reticle reference like the picture below. This one was a product of Strelok Pro ...

Mil-Quad%20SWFA_zps99opnmcf.png

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.