Yet another "whats the best scope for me" thread.

cdherman

Wow, a real nice forum you fellows have here. I tried searching and reading threads but have not got quite the advice I want as of yet.

I have a nice new 270 WSM Savage 12FVSS 26" bbl stainless varmitter that I will use for large varmits of the whitetail variety. I hunt in western Kansas, where a lot of shots are 200-400 yards. I wounded a deer at 300 yards 2 years ago and my opinion is that it was as much failure of my gun as the operator -- never could get my 25-06 to shoot as well as it should have in spite of trigger work, bedding and my best hand load attempts. Anyhow.......

I am thinking in the 2-14 range, or maybe 4-16. The occassional 50 yard shot presents itself, so too much power is not wise either. A lot of shots happen at dusk and sunrise, so good light gathering is a must.

I figure to spend between 500 to 700 dollars but I could be talked into spending more or less.

I found a Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x 50mm with Varmit Hunter Reticule for under 600 at Midway. You think that is a wise choice? Decent deal?

I like the looks of the Varmit Hunter's Reticule. Opinions?

Sorry for all the newbie ???? Thanks in advance....

If 400 yards is your maximum expected range then you have no need for the varmint reticle. The old tried and proven method of using a 300 yard zero will work just fine. For 400 yard shots you just hold on the top of the back and shoot. Its faster and simpler and cheaper.

Shop around before you buy one from Midway or any other "big name" catalog. I've always found better prices online or at local gunshops.

The Leupold will serve you well. Whether to get the VH reticle will in my opinion be based on how serious you get about long range hunting. While you may think that 400 yds is a long way now, it will become easy w/a little practice. I guess what I'm trying to say is the VH reticle may work fine for now but you may soon outgrow it. I'd advise you to get something w/turrets and learn to dial. Lood hard @ the Nikon Tactical and the Mark 4 Leupold. A little over the $ you listed but worth it.

For deer varmints the 4.5x14 is perfect for all but extreme ranges -and the 4.5x won't ever be too much magnification.
If shooting at first and last light go w/a 50mm objective.

As stated once you start shooting out to 400yds -and reading/researching on this board you will soon outgrow the idea that 400yds is your max range.
Get a scope that has turrets as stated -talk to Bii/BJ who just commented before me -him and Lerch [partner] are very knowledgable w/longrange hunting and they have great prices on quality optics.

Go to biggameinfo dot com plug in your info and play around w/the ballistic software it will help you get started -it's free.
Best luck -Mike

OK, greatly appreciate the advice from you all and done lots more reading too.

I NEVER want to search for days for a wounded trophy animal again. I take a great deal of pride in hunting humanely and also never wasteing an animal. Without stirring up too much controversy amoung long range shooting fans, I would just say that the chances of wounding an animal begin to go up quickly as the range gets further. I'll stick to 400 yrds for deer.

HOWEVER.

I have a bit of survivalist bent as well, mostly of the "What if the SHTF" sort of thinking. I don't go around planning for doomsday. But perhaps having a weapon that could be called up to shoot a little further might not be a bad idea either. So with that additional logic here's what I think I need:

-- 50mm front objective, low light situations and old eyes.
-- 4 or 4.5 lowest power setting, for the obvious closer situations
-- 14-16 max magnification
-- Turret adjustable elevation/windage
-- 1" tube is OK, 30mm would be better but too much $$$$

Looking a good names, the best price I have found that fills that bill is a Zeiss 4.5-14x50mm Conquest MC. It states that it has "Hunting Turrets" and they look nicely ajustable. The Nikon Monarch X 4-16x looks nice as well for a little more. My gun is stainless, so the Zeiss has a edge there. But the Nikon is a better value in terms of the numbers.

What other scopes that fill the above bill might you all recomend? Really MUST be under $1000 The Zeiss is about $850

Last edited:
I have a leupy VX III 4.5-14x40mm with a B&C reticle i willin 2 sell. ill sell it with the 4" lense shade, butler creek scope caps, an yellow lense filter for 520 shipped, wtb, i paid 650 for it all new. i no its not exactly wat ur looking for but its food 4 thought. it only been used 4 one season an its its in excellent condition. still have the box an everthing. well like i said food for thought

Last edited:
The Nkon Tactical or "Monarch X" as they call it now would be perfect for you. Give Lerch or I a call and we can get you fixed up!!

OK, greatly appreciate the advice from you all and done lots more reading too.

I NEVER want to search for days for a wounded trophy animal again. I take a great deal of pride in hunting humanely and also never wasteing an animal. Without stirring up too much controversy amoung long range shooting fans, I would just say that the chances of wounding an animal begin to go up quickly as the range gets further. I'll stick to 400 yrds for deer.

HOWEVER.

I have a bit of survivalist bent as well, mostly of the "What if the SHTF" sort of thinking. I don't go around planning for doomsday. But perhaps having a weapon that could be called up to shoot a little further might not be a bad idea either. So with that additional logic here's what I think I need:

-- 50mm front objective, low light situations and old eyes.
-- 4 or 4.5 lowest power setting, for the obvious closer situations
-- 14-16 max magnification
-- Turret adjustable elevation/windage
-- 1" tube is OK, 30mm would be better but too much $$$$

Looking a good names, the best price I have found that fills that bill is a Zeiss 4.5-14x50mm Conquest MC. It states that it has "Hunting Turrets" and they look nicely ajustable. The Nikon Monarch X 4-16x looks nice as well for a little more. My gun is stainless, so the Zeiss has a edge there. But the Nikon is a better value in terms of the numbers.

What other scopes that fill the above bill might you all recomend? Really MUST be under $1000 The Zeiss is about $850

I do not like the Monarch X. It's glass is only average, especially compared with the Conquest. It's basically a watered down version of the original (and excellent) Nikon Tac, but they didn't water down the price. It does have the Tac features like exposed knobs and a mildot, but it's not what it used to be.

The Conquest with Rapid Z 800 is another option. It's gaining ground as an accepted reticle for the "SHTF" types.

Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50mm
Rapid Z 800 Reticle (Standard Hunting & Ultra Mag) - Matte - Side Parallax Adjustment - Hunting Turrets 1" tube - One-piece body - Non-magnifying reticle - 1/4 MOA adjustments - MC multicoating - Waterproof - Nitrogen filled

Price is well below what you have posted.

Scott

dont over look anything by sightron, they have execellent glass, repeatable tracking that gets no better in my own opinion and the quality is bar none, along with one of the best warranties in the business hands down. Try to stay away from leupold because there are many good scopes out there other than leupold plus they are so overpriced thats why they are DISCONTINUEING THE VX3 AND VXL AT THE END OF THIS YEAR.

Midway shows the Leupy VXIII as discontinued, though that might just be one particular model or perhaps just Midway is not handling that particlar one any more.

I bought a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x 50mm today. We shall see how it goes.....

Yeah stay away from "CRAPPY" leupold. Made in usa bulletproof, great glass, best warranty in the buisness. What you should get is some no name import thats been out for about a year or 2. That way they can lay off everybody at the leupold plant and send our money to china.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.