Yeah I got another 338-378

dgr416

I had to snag it another 338-378 Weatherby Accumark.I have two other ones in it.I figured its an awesome investment.I cant wait to try new powders I found that are supose to get 3000 fps with a 300 gr bullet out of this 26" barrel.I got 2850 fps before with reloader 25 and didnt push it.This is a 50 bmg powder that is supose to be awesome for the 338-378 also.I might also try it in my 264 win mag.I hope I can get some more brass decient.I can tote this rifle for miles but I laugh at those 20 pound rifles that guys lug around.I want to get a better scope for it but I will use the 3.5x10 x50 Nikon I took off of my 223.I am going to try a new scope I have not tried but it will have to wait a little while.I want to try my 338-378 on deer at long range.I am going to try some of the lighter bullets on them such as the 200 gr Nosler accubond.Its just a big game varmit rifle in my view.I talked to Weatherby and they are going to bring out a 338 lapua in the accumark.I think it will be awesome too.If you can get your rifle scope sling and ammo under 11 pounds that is very reasonable.My accumarks are very accurate.Most all the loads I tried shot under 3/4" and some as good as .25.Most loads are .5 I like Nosler partitions 250 gr for elk and larger and stuff that bites back.Try a Weatherby accumark you will probally like it.

I have seven 338-378's so don't feel bad. To get the top velocity with the 300 grainers I had to go way slower than RE-25. I use H-870 to get 3065 fps in a 28" barrel. With those powders or any and particularly in Alaska I always keep the bullets I will use long range in my pocket next to my body. That way the temperature is always constant and much less extreme velocity spread. I always got one handy in the rifle for quick shots and griz though.

You ever run across Art Hirschel up in Delta he is a big hunter? I worked deploying the missile defense interceptors at Fort Greely. Know the area well.

I have used RL25 in my 338-378, and 338 khan's (338-378 improved) with good results with 250 SMKs. I always seem to come back to RL25 for my best velocities and accuracy is good as well. RL25 does seem to be temperature sensitive, but I have done quite a bit of testing and know how to compensate for it so it is not too much of a problem.

+1 with LTLR on the 300 grainers though, you will need to go slower than RL25. I have never used H-870, but H50-BMG and US869 both work well. I have been playing with US869 recently and have been able to easily get 3050 with the 300 grain Bergers. I expect I can push that on up to 3100 or more but I am waiting for Berger to start shipping the "new and improved" 300s. Also I am running a 30" barrel so you can expect to lose a little with the slow powders out of the 26" barrel you are running.

The powders I want to try are the thunderbird 50 bmg powders.They got 3000fps with 26" barrels with 300 gr bullets.It should be even better in 30" barrels.I have not shot anything but targets with the 300 gr smks .I want to try them on deer at long rang.I am probally going to try some Nosler accubonds also on deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.