XP3 & E-Tip Ammo

jhlobik

I've heard that Winchester's new XP3 and E-Tip bullets have problems expanding, if at all. These bullets look great, have high ballistic coefficients, and are pretty accurate out of my 300 win mag Rem Sendero. I did not hunt with either one yet, but hoping to do it soon.

Does anyone care to share their knowledge on the subject ?

I have never hunted with an E-Tip but I have read nothing but good reviews about their affect on game, including a member here using them beyond 1K with very good results. My first thoght is this probably pure rumor. I would like to know your sources. And of course, you will probably never fnd the "perfect" bullet. You will find some stories of bullet "failure" for every variety bullet manufatured, some more than others. Consider the source and the frequency of these reports.

-MR

My source for these rumors came from reading customers reviews at cabelas, midway, and a few other ammo vendors. Naturally I got concerned becasue I happen to like this ammo very much and planning to hunt with it this coming season. But the comments were specifically aimed at "bullet expansion failures" at long range specifically, when they are slower. Of course there are so many variables here, so I'm just going to do my own field testing and will post results here.

Yes, sorry I forgot to say that. Majority is satisfied and only a few are not. Just like you said. But that few mentions bullet expansion problem specifically.
Anyway, I'm staying with that ammo.

I started using the Fail safe bullets about ten years ago. I have had extremely great success with them at ranges between close and 900 yards on deer and elk out of a 270 and 270 wsm. When the xp3 came out I started using them and again have had nothing but 100% success. They have performed perfectly for me. I have actually started breaking the factory rounds apart and using the brass and bullets for my own reloads. I give the xp3 an A+. I have family that have also had good success and no problems with the accubonds from winchester. So take that for what its worth. I am sure some people will have negative things to say but for me in my rifle they work. Like was said good luck finding the "perfect" combo cause its pert near impossible to find.
Hope this helps.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.