Nosler E-tip

ZSteinle

Any word of a nosler .308 200gr. E-tip? I think that would make an excellent hunting bullet with a great BC! Hopefully around .6

Just remember the max on these will be reached with less powder than a lead bullet like the accubond! Also they are quite long for there weight due to less density to them, I would like to see them add a few rings like the Barnes or the new hornady non lead bullets so your not handicapped on the FPS you can achieve with them!

Just remember the max on these will be reached with less powder than a lead bullet like the accubond! Also they are quite long for there weight due to less density to them, I would like to see them add a few rings like the Barnes or the new hornady non lead bullets so your not handicapped on the FPS you can achieve with them!

What do you mean by max? Max velocity? What do the rings actually do to help acheive higher FPS? I would really appreciate if you explained this deeper because i really dont understand.

There is a fair chance that a 200g E-tip will be too long to stabilize in a standard twist barrel. I have some doubt that Nosler will come out with it. Will probably need faster than 1 in 10.

Steve

It seems with non lead based bullets you get higher pressure with them, so Barnes and the new Hornady bullets have rings around them to help with pressure build up, meaning you can run close to the same powder charges as the same grain same design as a lead bullet. The E-tips will reach max pressure before the same sized lead bullet. You have a 150 grain lead and 150 grain e-tip you won't be able to load them to the same powder capacity I think nosler recommends a max close to 10% lower than a lead bullet of same size, meaning you will end up with a slower bullet than a lead accu bond or BT. If max is 10% lower and you want to run it 3-5% below max then your at a 15% lower charge than the lead counter part!

I have heard some guys say seat them some deeper, many say with long bullets doesn't make sense, but the guys that have shot them with good accuracy have found them to be better shooters when seated a little deeper instead of longer!

I'm going to try some of the new 90 grain 6mm just to see what I can accomplish with them. Hornady will have there offerings out soon, sadly nothing smaller than a .270 offered at this time but if you shoot bigger I would check out there offerings as well!

I don't know that I have experienced them being slower, but the pressure does come up faster. You definitely want to start load development lower w/ the E-tip. So far the rifles that we have tried them in, the end velocity has been where we expected for the size of the bullet.

I have mine seated almost touching the lands, and they shoot well. So I did not try seating them w/ any jump. I may have to try a little deeper just to see what happens. The other rifles we loaded all have free bore so there was no chance to load them into the lands.

Accuracy for us so far has been very good in every rifle tried.

Steve

Got a word back from Nosler "too long to stabalize in standard twist barrel RockyMT had her

"
There is a fair chance that a 200g E-tip will be too long to stabilize in a standard twist barrel. I have some doubt that Nosler will come out with it. Will probably need faster than 1 in 10.

Steve"

Any word of a nosler .308 200gr. E-tip? I think that would make an excellent hunting bullet with a great BC! Hopefully around .6

Nosler doesn't have any plans at this time to introduce a 308 cal 200 gr E-Tip. Theconcern is that the bullet will be too long to stabilize in a 1:10 twist.

Nosler is going to be introducing a 200gr E-Tip in 338 cal mid year 2009. I think a 225 gr would be better and I hope they offer this weight too.

JD338

I am looking forward to a 165 or 168 grain E-tip in the .5 BC range. I have back calculated the .469 BC of the 150 grain E-tip and if its Form Factor were maintained in a 165-168 grain bullet the BC would be better than .5 BC. With the high weight retention of the E-tip it would make a great Elk round.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.