Discussion in 'Product Reviews - Discussion' started by ADMIN, Jun 17, 2011.

XLR Industries Evolution Chassis System Review

1. ADMIN

ADMIN Administrator

This is a thread for discussion of the article, XLR Industries Evolution Chassis System Review, By Marty Dabney. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

2. 270 Sender0

270 Sender0 Well-Known Member

Looks great, I have an old 7mm that's been collecting dust and this might be the project to go with, what overall weight did you end up with. I need to decide what cal to go with my rem action also....

3. bogger01

bogger01 Well-Known Member

i didn't weigh it but i'm thinking somwhere between 16-17 pounds with the 30 inch barrel.

4. 270 Sender0

lol, I don't think I'll be making this a back pack riflegun)

5. bogger01

no, probably not.if you went with a shorter barrel with a sporter weight barrel then it might be ok for some packing around.the chassis only weighs about 4 pounds which isn't bad considering how stable of a platform it is.gun)

6. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

Marty,

Great review!

@ 4# one may be able to keep the total weight, with proper component selection, under the 16# Idaho limit. Carrying it to the 'hide' wouldn't be a problem.

7. bogger01

Thanks for the kind words.and your right,the right components would make a huge difference in weight reduction.i use a long heavy barrel with heavy rings and base.also,in this weight I am figuring in the weight of the bipod so a lot can be done to reduce weight.remember this is a tactical rifle so weight isn't that big of a deal.and yes,to the guys on the hide this is probably considered a light weight.

8. royinidaho

royinidaho Writers Guild

by 'carrying it to the "hide", I meant carrying it to the ambush spot......

That trip is usually well under a mile. The ambush spots further in are accessible via ancient logging roads..

9. bogger01

oh i see.its been a long day.lol

10. 270 Sender0

Marty, Every time I look at the photo's it looks sweeter!!!!! If you have any more close up's send them or post them. What scope did you choose for this project?

11. bogger01

the scope is a super sniper 20x and seems to do well.I will eventually put a night force on it but for now I will use this.I will do some more close ups this evening for you.thanks,marty

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  12. bogger01

here are some close up pics

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. jasonco

jasonco Well-Known Member

Very nice looking and functional stock. i've been in search of the perfect stock for my savge 110 7stw with a 27" shillen tube i had made up in '95. i think i finally found what i've been looking for! thanks much for the article gun)

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  14. Father Hood

Father Hood New Member

Hello

Thanks for the review. I have looked at these chassis for quite a while now and am curious if during your research you ever came across the chassis by JP Enterprises. It is similiar in many ways but uses a Magpul PRS stock that also folds. Cost is about the same if you were to add everything up from XLR. I would be interested in knowing if you considered them and if so what made you decide on the XLR. Thanks.