Wyoming Hunt Advice

Lots of good stuff here, weekend warrior hit it spot on with the wind. I would for darn sure have a good rain suit packed a packable one if anything to use to keep out of the wind a bit and to stay a bit more comfy!

A LRF would be good, and the ability to know how to use one right now!

The ability to hit the turf and get in behind your rifle and bipod right now is another good thing to work on. I would get used to using your fanny pack for a rear rest. Lastly on this, I would make it my goal to be able to hit the turf and get 3 rounds on a paper plate in under 10 seconds from the word go. And I'd practice this to the ranges that I anticipate shooting at.

My son and I are going on a guided mule deer and antelope hunt the last week of October. While we are experienced hunters, this will be our first western hunt. We have been practicing shooting off the bipod in various positions and are comfortable. My question is around what clothing and gear to bring. We are set up for tree stand whitetail hunting, so will probably need a few things. The guide will be sending his gear list later this month, but wanted to get your thoughts.
Schnees (Bozeman Montana) has really nice boots. I was surprised last fall coming home from Idaho the people were hunting from the side of interstate. Legal 🤔

Hunted antelope around Casper in the 80s. Warm windy days, cold nights. Optics are important and knowing your gun's shooting range. Gloves and knee pads are good too as crawling is usually part of the stalk and everything out there on the ground will stick or bite you

My son and I are going on a guided mule deer and antelope hunt the last week of October. While we are experienced hunters, this will be our first western hunt. We have been practicing shooting off the bipod in various positions and are comfortable. My question is around what clothing and gear to bring. We are set up for tree stand whitetail hunting, so will probably need a few things. The guide will be sending his gear list later this month, but wanted to get your thoughts.
Hi there, first off I see you are an Auburn fan, I'm going to safely assume that you are located in the SE portion of the lower 48. I am located in Florida and hunt Alabama pretty extensively through out whitetail season. I started hunting out west with my dad roughly 15 years ago on a regular basis for Elk in Idaho and Wyoming. I have always hunted with Kennetrek 400 grams insulated and non-insulated boots, the boots are still good as new and are one of the best boots for the western terrain. I do recommend going up one size if you are someone that needs extra thick socks. I would throw in one last thing on socks, Tough Darn socks are pretty **** comfortable and warm and not thick. As far as clothing goes, you cannot go wrong with Kuiu gear, their gear is light and warm. You can call them directly and they will be happy to share their suggestions on layering and overall gear. Good luck to you and your son, in my humble opinion there is no better way for a dad and son to bond, then taking game on a free chase hunt.

Depending on altitude be sure to have several "reasonable" size drinking water containers. You must answer the following questions in order to plan correctly.
Is this hunt on foot or horseback?
Will you be going back to a base camp daily or will you be tenting it?
Time of year, warm cold rainy, snow???

A friend invited me to his home outside of Denver (the town of SouthPark oddly enough) One morning he says, lets have antelope for supper, I have a couple of open tags. He pulled two M1 .30cal carbines out of the safe and off we went in our street clothes. An hour later we were in open grassy looking prairie. He stopped in a shallow washed out ravine and we got out, put the slings over our shoulders and started out in the ravine crouching as we walked at a brisk pace, about 500 yards from the truck we huddled up in the ravine and he pulls out a flag. Starts waiving it above the grass. At which point he instructs me, when we shoot you take the antelope on the right only I'll take the left. Knowing the very limited range of the carbines we had I asked how long the shots will be, 50yds or so was the reply. Curiosity gets the better of the antelopes there at least. They would come over to see what the flag was all about, and sure enough, 50yds out we popped up and each got an antelope.
That was my last and only antelope hunt. I was out Wyoming way for a horseback guided elk and mulie hunt. That's a young mans game. I was glad the outfitter had a back up rifle for me after the pack horse slipped and fell on my primary rifle.

There's no predicting Wyoming weather during any of the hunting seasons. I've been going there for the past 15 years or more and it's unpredictable. We hunt near Cody and one day it can reach 70 degrees and the next it can be well under 20. Now I always pack neck gaitors as well as boot gators. They help with blowing snow. Light and heavy gloves. sock caps that will cover your ears. a good neopreme scope cover. Range finder. snow pacs as well as leather hunting boots - and as others have said - merino wool socks. In the Casper area, the wind could reach 25 MPH or more - you might want to download a wind doping program for your rifle and loads should your shots be beyond 200 yds.

Dewalt KneePads - for knee & elbows - goes over clothes - easy adjust & Much Quieter than tactical stuff

Iffin U R after that Prairie Goat U may not notice the cactus till U R kneeling/prone - then it's toooo Late & u'll need those closeup glasses & tweezers (been there, done that)

layers of Merino Wool for higher elevations & or Early Winter Weather and as said - Good well broken-in Boots

As far as gear take everything, the weather changes quickly.
Secondly be Extremely careful as to where you are hunting, the land boundaries are the weirdest thing I have ever delt with. We hunted in Casper and will Never go back, locals are unfriendly, medicine bow was awesome. But know where you are at all times.

Having lived 'mungst the trees of the east, be prepared for some wide-open country. Game looks different without trees around and estimating ranges can be tough. Mulies are big compared to white tails. Lots of people from back east shoot over them. Know your range and know your ballistics.

As for gear, just ask your guide. Using quick, improvised rests is important. Have fun!