2017 Wyoming Hunt

Greyfox

I had another great trip hunting in the foothills of .the Bighorns this October. On its seventh season, I used my Cooper 6.5x284/5x20x50 Huskemaw scope loaded with 142 JLK VLD's loaded to 2975FPS.
The antelope buck was shot at 475 yards. The whitetail buck was shot at 764 yards. Both DRT with chest shots. Winds of +20MPH proved to be a challenge throughout the week and temperatures ranged from 35-65 degrees.

Attachments

• 785E8B2A-1A47-4B86-B259-AE77995ECF7C.jpeg
    785E8B2A-1A47-4B86-B259-AE77995ECF7C.jpeg
    398.8 KB · Views: 281
  • 6CD6C872-FEED-4ACD-8614-55AA26724587.jpeg
    6CD6C872-FEED-4ACD-8614-55AA26724587.jpeg
    917.2 KB · Views: 294
Very nice !
Are you happy with the Sig 2400 ?

Thanks!
Yes, The 2400 is excellent rangefinder. I had the opportunity to compare the Sig and the G7(gen2) on over 100 animals ranged to 1000 Yards in both Wyoming and Alberta. They got a good workout from sub zero to 65 degree temps, elevations from 2000-5000 feet, and s variety of different settings from heavy sage to open snow covered fields. With the same rifle/load info entered in each, ranges and ballistic outputs were basically identical to 1000+ yards under the wide variety of conditions. IMO, each unit has pluses and minuses, but I could do nicely with either RF for my hunting with the bulk of my animals shot over the past several years from 300-800 yards(furthest 1188 yards). The Sig 2400 is smaller and lighter. The auto adjusting ranging reticle is nicer to use and does not wash out the animal in near dark ranging situations at dusk and dawn. I will say though that when the G7 washes out the target it's generally too dark to accurately shoot past 100 or 200 Yards anyway. For ELR shooting, the advanced capabilities(spin drift, coreolis, etc) is a big plus. For game in difficult cover I prefer the Tru-targeting feature of the G7 over the "best/last selection of the 2400. For me, it is faster and easier to determine a precise range with the G7 in these difficult ranging situations. The antelope shown in my post was such a case, as he was quite educated, hanging out the in the heavy sage brush at 750 yards. The Sig was having some trouble producing a reproducible range, even in continuous "last" ranging mode. It does take some understanding and practice to to use G7's TT capability quickly, but it's very effective. While I could live with either RF I would lean towards the G7 as my preference for my hunting to 1000 yards; I'd lean toward the the advanced capability of the Sig 2400 as an all purpose ballistic RF for hunting,PRS/completion, and +1000 yard steel/targets.

Did you harvest your Muley and Antelope on Public ground? Looks like you had fun. We were up in the Bighorns hunting public. Had a great time but just couldn't seem to get the big boys to come off the private property. Congrats on some nice animals.

Thanks Sofaking! I really like hunting the Bighorn area. Both the whitetail and the antelope were taken on private property.

My buddy Stephen shot a Muley south of Buffalo this fall that was an old buck possibly a hybrid that was missing the black brow on his forehead. That's why I assumed yours was a Muley. Thought his probably wasn't the only one. I guess I missed the part when you said whitetail in your first post. Oops. Great animal either way.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.