Wyoming Antelope license came in the mail..area 72

Jeff In TX

My Wyoming Antelope hunting license showed up in the mail today. My buddies and I are hunting area 72 near Casper. Any thoughts on area 72?

I drew unit 73, supposed to be a great area. Ordered maps today to start studying. We hunted unit 31 last year and we all filled our tags.

I have. The western side is more rugged. It has more flat, open space on the eastern and southern side. The Powder River runs through the middle. Its a big area and has good potential. Also has good mule deer and I have seen elk there. I saw 9 mule deer together that would give the magnificent a run for their money. Anyhow, I don't want to clutter up Jeffs thread with 73 info, so if you have some more questions, PM me and I'll get back with you when I can.

Jeff:

Congrats! I drew 72 as well, but I'll be there a week after the opener. I'm looking for a bigger one than I got last year in 73, and I think a week should do it. (hopefully!)

I'll get the mount Thursday evening, so I can figure out how small it is.

Jeff:

Congrats! I drew 72 as well, but I'll be there a week after the opener. I'm looking for a bigger one than I got last year in 73, and I think a week should do it. (hopefully!)

I'll get the mount Thursday evening, so I can figure out how small it is.

Esshup,

This will be my first pronghorn hunt and we'll be hunting the same week as you. We arrive into Casper on the 21st and hunt 22-24th. We'll be staying in Casper though I don't know the name of the hotel off hand. I'd like to get a nice 15 or 16" pronghorn if possible so I hope my guide does his homework!

Best of luck on your trip and if you'd like we can compare photo's and experiences after our hunts.

I should be arriving on the 25th and leaving sometime around the 4th. My cousin lives in Casper and I'll be staying at his house. Last year in 73, we hunted an area that was open to the public, and right off of the highway. I tried for 73, and put 72 as a second choice. We saw lots of goats, and probably picked thru 20-30 the morning of the first day. I decided to let my buddy have first choice because he struck out on Mulies and I got lucky. He picked out a nece goat around Noon, and I saw a really nice one around 2:00 p.m., but the mirage was pretty bad and couldn't really determine how big the horns were. They looked bigger than anything that we saw so far, so I decided to chase after that one. In getting to him, we came across 2 that were facing off over some territory rights. I jumped the gun and took the larger of those 2, but after that one was on the ground I realized that the one that I started after was much larger. I'll be more picky this year.
It wasn't a long shot by any means, only 312 yds. .257 Wby Mag
wyoming2008019.jpg

wyoming2008020.jpg

Our group has hunting area 31 out of Casper for the last 3 years and you will want to stop in at the Rocky Mountain Discount store in Casper and make sure you have your wallet. Lots of good prices and great service. They even have a map maker in the store.

FWIW, the only tag that showed up was the buck tag. I called F&G today and they said that the doe tags were being sent out a few days after the buck tags.

Essup & Jeff

I will be hunting Unit 72 again. I do not know when I will arrive nor how long I will stay. I will be camping at Alcova Reservoir Black Beach campground. If there are a lot of black Toyota Tacoma pickups with DC plates on them then just find the good looking one and that will be me.

frontbumper1.jpg

Remember, don't let your dog pee on my truck tires nor drink my beer!!!! :D

YouTube - 460XVR

The first two are the Hornady 200 gr FTX and the last one is the Speer shot capsule. I have the lead bulllet compensator on it and you will notice I look to see if I have ruined a $1300 pistol by blowing off the end of the barrel.

It is really a miserable experience to shoot it with full power loads but you can put 8 grains of Trail Boss powder in the case and shoot 185 gr FMJs all day long.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.