Wyoming Antelope license came in the mail..area 72

BB:

We'll be driving a red Dodge cummins extended cab pickup with Wy plates. Maybe we'll run across each other. My cousin's schedule gives him 7 days off Sept. 25th - Oct. 2nd. I'll be looking hard for a bigger one than last year's.

Hi guys, I have a tag for unit 7. I will be hunting the last week of the season

Kind of an old thread, but I can offer up some observations. I hunt coyotes and p-dogs frequently in area 72. In fact, I'll spend somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 days a year in area 72 between Waltman and Powder River, then South to the foot of the Rattlesnakes. Good news and not so good news. First off, an exceptionally wet year has been good for the country and there are a lot of groceries for the antelope. Last winter was mild and there are a lot of mature buck antelope in the 15-16 inch range. There is no reason to settle for anything less than 80 points SCI.

The not so good news...take a look at a map and you will see the Northern half of area 72 has a lot more private land than one would think. There have been some sizable chunks of land change ownership this summer, especially around Ervay Basin. Some of the land owners have their property leased to an outfitter, others do not. Many of the guys will allow hunting with permission, all you need to do is to ask. I live in Shoshoni and my phone number is listed. If you have questions feel free to call. You might also consider calling the Wyoming Game and Fish in Casper and visit with the warden for the area. Good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.