Wyoming : A hunters dream destination?

98s1lightning

I never been West,

Most Frontier I've been is Maine which is the most wooded state in the nation.

I got to wonder is Wyoming the place to go?

If I ever got to go out there I'd be on a tight budget. Is it only worth going with a guide and horses????

I feel like this mountain type hunting requires packing in a lot of gear and having a nice base camp. Or else its really roughing it.

I literally know nothing about it but the amazing pictures I see and whatever hunting videos I've seen. That doesn't exactly cover the reality of a day in the life. Is public land plentiful?

Elk or Black tail deer? Pronghorn? Idk.....

Are there BIG BEARS in all of Wyoming along with Wolves and such?

I seen a hunting video of Idaho, that place looked like Alaska to me!
The hunters got dropped in by plane and when the plane left they were atop a mountain that you could slip off and die easily! I'm like jeez that's pretty fierce. Lots of rocky areas they had to avoid, navigate around things like that.

How many guys do you go with? At least 2 others?

I feel like its a LOT of prep to Mountain hunt remotely.

Also mention, if driving from the East Coast, what's the CLOSEST destination worth visiting if you never been West hunting........

We have a pretty good mixed bag of game…..Whitetail Deer, Mule Deer, Pronghorn Antelope near everywhere, Grizzly Bears on the western side as far south as near Kemmerer, in the Wind River Range as far south as Lander, Black Bear in all mountain regions, Moose in most mountain ranges, Bison in the Yellowstone/Teton region, Elk across most of the state including the Red Desert region, and Big Horn Sheep in numerous mountain ranges, as well as Mountain Goats in the extreme northern mountains.

If you are an experienced camper/hunter you should have that aspect covered. As far as hunting, read and learn how experienced hunters hunt their game.

The most difficult part of hunting Wyoming is drawing a license……especially for non-residents. For some species, in will require many years of collecting "points" by purchasing a point every year from the G&F. Go to the Wyoming Game and Fish website and spend a lot of time attempting to learn as much as possible about the game, the game laws, and the application process.

That's a "readers digest" version of things to do! memtb

I'm going to throw something out that gets overlooked. If you are not looking for elk.

South Dakota and NW Nebraska are amazing for deer, antelope, turkey, wolves (but they say there are none). Tickets are over the counter and there are elk but it's for resident only I believe. I spent some time there and it was lots and lots of public land and no one to be found.

Actually mtns there but not like Wyoming.

Good luck.

Cool guys this site is great

I would say I have the hunting part more covered than the camping part

All these guys have big $ into their gear for what seems like good reason. Life depends on it and filming.....and way out in backcountry.

I'm watching some Wyoming hunt videos now, really rugged and intimidating terrain.
I'm not a big guy so packing in/out would be an issue. Have to research, learn, research, learn.

Ya I might be interested in states for deer only like the second guy said. I'm all about the no people/no lottery.

The world of hunting has changed way too ---oo much. Seen way too many changes in regs out west up north in Canada and up in Alaska. Am so glad I did my hunting back in the 60-70-80 and early 90's now just bird hunt and enjoy the walk with the puppy and if i get a shot off for a bird am happy. Good luck with your hunting and what you going for. Loved the Elk hunts in Idaho,Utah, just to name a few and the Goat & Sheep hunts BC, YUKON, Beer hunts - Caribou - Mulies - Most of all just being out there and enjoying the country and if I got a trophy that was a plus. So good luck with your hunting and enjoy !!!

Recent Posts