WY Hunt Area 63 advice

ISUCyclone

A coworker and I are new the sport of antelope hunting. We have drawn tags in area 63. I have purchased the maps from the BLM and looked them over. Just wondering if anybody a little more familiar with the area can give us an idea of where to set up a base camp. We are planning on camping on BLM ground. Havent decided on whether to tent camp or pull the pop up camper. Are the 2 track roads conducive to pull a pop up on? I know this area has a lot of public land, how is it for hunter numbers? Are we going to be running into other hunters every time we turn around? Any and all info will be greatly appreciated. September cant get here quick enough!!!

There were 400 tags issued that are good for the entire unit and 200 tags that are only good for the area east of CR 410 in Natrona County and CR 497 in Carbon County. I strongly suggest that you skip the first ten days or so since the season runs from 9/11-10/31 and most people will be out there for the opener. If you have never been out there before, you will have a much more enjoyable hunt if you skip the opener and there will be plenty of goats left when you get there as it's a very good unit. Later into the month of September and even the first part of October if you find the does you will see bucks chasing and fighting during the rut that will still be going good. Make sure and take a 4x4 PU and have chains for all four wheels because the roads get very greasy with just a little bit of moisture. If you use common sense and watch the weather forecast you should have no trouble taking a popup camper. The roads do dry out pretty quickly, but they are a witch when wet if you get off the gravel and you will be to do a good hunt.

Thanks, any advice on where to set up a base camp? I read Cherry creek is a good spot to camp. Or is there better, more out of the wind spots? I appreciate your help.

From eastern Iowa I would take I-80 all the way to Rawlins and then up north on highway 287 at exit 215. It's about 45 miles up to Muddy Gap and from there you can take highway 220 that's the western boundary of unit 63 and access tons of public land towards Cherry Creek to the east off that highway. I'd camp anywhere that looks good and where you can get out to the highway if the weather gets wet. I'd start on the west side and hunt that whole area and then if you're not happy with it and want to access the other east side of 63 just go on up 220 and take 410 to the southeast and it turns into 497 when you go south into Carbon County. 497 goes through almost all public land all the way to the end. One or the other should get you into plenty of goats to fill your tags. That way you can camp close to the main roads and do your thing every day in your PU on the back roads from where you camp. Even if you get some moisture you should be okay that way with chains for all four wheels to actually get around and hunt.

I've got a picture here someplace of us changing/replacing the axle of a small camp trailer that pulled off in the mud. Approach it like a vacation, have enough time to sit out a day or two. It will dry out quicker than you probably think. Some times your next move is not to make one.

Good advice HARPERC! It's just not smart to risk expensive equipment for a goat! The roads do usually dry out pretty quick, but when they're wet they can be a real witch!

Good advice HARPERC! It's just not smart to risk expensive equipment for a goat! The roads do usually dry out pretty quick, but when they're wet they can be a real witch!

Well Topgun 30-06 I can't say much about smart. We've always invited him on trips, and he shows only on occasion. I can't speak for modern SUV's and rice grinders, but our old big block Ford's and Power Wagons chained all 4 really could pull a trailer easy enough you really could forget it was back there-even when it was just skidding. We took that poor thing into places ATV riders would stop and think twice. I can say I love chasing Pronghorns and that axle was worth every minute. No draws this year, but I'm off probation (Nevadas 5 year wait following a draw). Oregon I might never draw, but whatever I'm in for like 14 unused licenses, I'm in Utah's draws, bought an Alberta hunt, and will probably cave in for New Mexico or Texas. My advice to the OP and other Antelope beginners GO, anyway you can. The expensive part is when you realize no way this will be the last time. Expensive is learning not to let your ammo cook all day, by shooting over the back of BC bucks. Good Luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.