WY draw results

WOW!, I thought 4 would have drawn a general this year. I have 4 now and considered entering the general, I really thought 4 would have been a lock.

Seem like WY point creep is accelerating.
4 was a lock in the regular, 3 in special.

A) people don't know how many points they have
B) people think they get a point added when they apply
C) people add someone to their party and that guy had fewer points than he said

Last edited:

Guess I'm one of those guys that doesn't know what he is doing. I thought you got a point if you were unsuccessful in the draw and you can buy an additional point too. They sell points July - October ( or something like that). I thought that would give you 2 points a year if you did both.
Am I completely wrong in that?

yep, way wrong. I don't know of any western state that does that. Montana lets you buy a point prior but that's it.

Points are purchased after the conclusion of the draw and used for the following year. You do not get anything addl when you apply. They stopped automatically issuing points for the unsuccessful draw several years ago (you used to check the point box and add $50).

this document is updated every year in December for the upcoming NR draw. It's well worth reading several times.

I just got to the bottom of it and it was:
D) Outfitter messed up my application

A cow tag isnt that hard. Bull tags are. A buddy of mine drew a cow tag with no points, and killed one. Am buying a pt this year and waiting for a bull tag. We've got a area pretty wired for both deer and elk. .....
You are correct, it isn't that hard, but it is not a guaranteed draw, as we drew with zero points. it would be a lot easier if they gave more than just 2 choices on the app. But many units have had more demand than cow/calf tags available. We are hoping to learn the unit this year and build points for a general tag likely next year. Still may try to find an outfitter for a back country hunt next year on a general tag. We applied in CO this year also as backup.

Zipped twice this year, MT now WY. So now what? AZ? Was hoping for elk draw but guess back to CO 2nd season DIY AGAIN🤬. Really wanted MT tag. Maybe NE for mule deer. Maybe Old School hunt in NY Adirondacks for old mossy horn buck. Lots of public land and wild as you want. At least over counter tag.

Last gasp is MI lifetime draw on elk. Better chance on Megamillions!

So I would only buy a point if I knew I wasn't going to hunt the following year? If I dont buy a point I would get one if I was unsuccessful in the draw??
If you draw a 1st choice full price tag, you lose that species points and can't buy one to use the next year. The next year you would have zero for that species. Reduced price tags don't use points nor do 2nd choice full price tags.

Always buy points for Elk/Deer/Antelope if you don't draw 1st choice on a full price license. Since you didn't draw Elk, you will want to buy one this fall. If you don't draw for antelope or deer, buy points for those as well. Also, if you choose not to apply for a tag, you can still buy the points in the fall. Just remember, WY is different in that your app fee does not pay for a point and you don't get points automatically when you don't draw. You have to buy them later in the year.

If you draw a 1st choice full price tag, you lose that species points and can't buy one to use the next year. The next year you would have zero for that species. Reduced price tags don't use points nor do 2nd choice full price tags.

Always buy points for Elk/Deer/Antelope if you don't draw 1st choice on a full price license. Since you didn't draw Elk, you will want to buy one this fall. If you don't draw for antelope or deer, buy points for those as well. Also, if you choose not to apply for a tag, you can still buy the points in the fall. Just remember, WY is different in that your app fee does not pay for a point and you don't get points automatically when you don't draw. You have to buy them later in the year.
Thanks. Great info! I'm new to WY process