• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

SOLD/EXPIRED WTB First long range scope !

USMCPAHunter

well my 300 rum is almost done being built rem 700 with a new 28in barrel now I need some glass to go on top. iv never owned a quality long range scope just 3-9x40's on top of old hunting rifels. lemme know what you have I was hoping to get a used quality scope ! so I can start ringing steel way out there :)

If I can share a little of my education, and by goodness I have paid for that education..

DO NOT SKIMP on a long range scope. Wait until you have $1500 to $2000 you can spend and get a Night Force NXS or AtacR if you can find a good used one (now that the new model is out). Your gun will only be as accurate as your scope. Buy good rings and base and mount the scope correctly, level, and get a level for your glass.

I am sure I am telling you what you already know but I wish someone had told me when I started shooting a long time ago. I had tons of $300 to $600 scopes on non custom guns that were great deer guns to 300 yards, but that was all. If I had known then what I know now, many of those guns, hours and ammo would not have been wasted trying to make a 300 yard gun shoot to 600 yards.

Good luck. Keep a sharp eye in this forum and you will fins what you need.

Sealesniper

Seales sniper has very good advice. Save up your money untill you can get either a night force nxs or atacr, a s&b, or a kahles

There are so many high quality scopes out today it is really hard to even discuss it without doing some real narrowing down of options first. Some questions that may help you get started in your search.

1. Do you want First Focal or Second Focal Plane? Don't know what this is? do a search here. Lots of info
2. How much power do you need? Everyone is different regarding this. In general I am careful to give up the low end for lots of high end power because for one I don't need it, and 2, on most but the top tier scopes the optical clarity falls off and the eyebox gets finicky, which I don't like.
3. Are you going to hold over with a reticle or dial?
4. Are you going to range with the reticle or with a rangefinder?
5. How much weight do you want? Some of today's scopes are ridiculously heavy.
6. Do you care about tube size? Larger is heavier and more expensive for mounting systems.
7. Are you willing to buy used? If so you can often times find great deals on what you want or even a step up in quality for the same price.

I agree with what was said here, don't skimp on optics but I also would suggest you don't go all in on one either until you know this is going to be something you stick with and do enough to make it worth the money.

Here are some high quality, middle of the road priced optics to consider.

SWFA HD series.
Sightron SIII
Bushnell elites, specifically the LRHS line. IF you like FFP scopes the LRHS line is nearly impossible to beat. It has every thing you want or need in the "goodies" department and has glass on par with more expensive scopes.
Weaver Tactical Series
Vortex PST Series

Choosing is half the fun! Good luck!

if i can share a little of my education, and by goodness i have paid for that education..

Do not skimp on a long range scope. Wait until you have $1500 to $2000 you can spend and get a night force nxs or atacr if you can find a good used one (now that the new model is out). Your gun will only be as accurate as your scope. Buy good rings and base and mount the scope correctly, level, and get a level for your glass.

I am sure i am telling you what you already know but i wish someone had told me when i started shooting a long time ago. I had tons of $300 to $600 scopes on non custom guns that were great deer guns to 300 yards, but that was all. If i had known then what i know now, many of those guns, hours and ammo would not have been wasted trying to make a 300 yard gun shoot to 600 yards.

Good luck. Keep a sharp eye in this forum and you will fins what you need.

Sealesniper

this!!!!

March scopes are on sale right now. Check out their website.

I have a used Vortex Razor 5-20x50 scope in MOA with the EBR-1 reticle for sale. Has 15 moa per revolution turrets. It has their precision matched rings along with the vortex scope level. It is in like new shape. No scratches or dings. 1500 shipped obo.

There are so many high quality scopes out today it is really hard to even discuss it without doing some real narrowing down of options first. Some questions that may help you get started in your search.

1. Do you want First Focal or Second Focal Plane? Don't know what this is? do a search here. Lots of info
2. How much power do you need? Everyone is different regarding this. In general I am careful to give up the low end for lots of high end power because for one I don't need it, and 2, on most but the top tier scopes the optical clarity falls off and the eyebox gets finicky, which I don't like.
3. Are you going to hold over with a reticle or dial?
4. Are you going to range with the reticle or with a rangefinder?
5. How much weight do you want? Some of today's scopes are ridiculously heavy.
6. Do you care about tube size? Larger is heavier and more expensive for mounting systems.
7. Are you willing to buy used? If so you can often times find great deals on what you want or even a step up in quality for the same price.

I agree with what was said here, don't skimp on optics but I also would suggest you don't go all in on one either until you know this is going to be something you stick with and do enough to make it worth the money.

Here are some high quality, middle of the road priced optics to consider.

SWFA HD series.
Sightron SIII
Bushnell elites, specifically the LRHS line. IF you like FFP scopes the LRHS line is nearly impossible to beat. It has every thing you want or need in the "goodies" department and has glass on par with more expensive scopes.
Weaver Tactical Series
Vortex PST Series

Choosing is half the fun! Good luck!

I appreciate all the feed back !

I have used NightForce, Bushnell Elites, Weavers, and Leopolds and I prefer the NightForce ATACR or NXS and the Bushnell Elite 3.5-21X50mm. Although, I'll agree NightForce scopes are some of the best tracking scopes if you dial for elevation and windage. Just my thoughts based on my experiences. Good luck, and like others have said, take your time.

I did a low light comparison between the atacr and gen ll razor. Razor won and the atacr was sold the next day. Look at the glass and features compared to the atacr and youll sell it also.

The Gen2 Razor Hd is from what I've heard an excellent scope; however, so is the newest Atacr. I've never had a scope with better optical clarity, day or low light. Only downside to my model is that it's a second focal plane vs the Vortex First focal plane design with constant subtentions. All in all, there are many great options to choose from and I'll admit Vortex Gen2 models should be looked at as well.