Wsm on a long action?

matt_3479

Be throwing the idea of a Wsm build for quite some time. And I know there just not ideal when loading the heavies in a short action when being mag fed, and work decent in a medium action but pretty much stuck with with defiance or tikka, so I was wondering who's done them on a long action? What action and mag system? Any feeding problems?

Be throwing the idea of a Wsm build for quite some time. And I know there just not ideal when loading the heavies in a short action when being mag fed, and work decent in a medium action but pretty much stuck with with defiance or tikka, so I was wondering who's done them on a long action? What action and mag system? Any feeding problems?
I run my 7 Max on a 700 LA. its quite similar to a wsm. You can buy a Quik Klip from Cabelas and spread the feed lips a bit for the fatter case and they will feed smooth as silk. They only hold 2 rounds but are a nice clean fit DBM. They replace the BDL bottom metal with no work.involved. they only cost $120.

I have a SAUM built on a Tikka action and love it.
It started out as a 7 RM
I'm using the factory LA magnum magazine, and after sanding the inside with a dremel it feeds flawlessly.

Or you can buy an aftermarket mag from Hells Canyon Armory.

I also have a 700 that started out as a 338 RUM, that I re barreled to 7wsm.
It feeds perfect without any mods, I really like the Tikka action the best though, they're perfect for what you're wanting to do

I built a long-action rifle that was chambered in 300WSM. It fed so badly, I ended-up designing my own long-action mildcat round to save the $2300 stock. If I was standing where you are right now with this idea, I'd not do it. If you have the courage as did Christopher Columbus when he set sail from Spain, please be my guest...

I built a wsm on a sendero based long action with the stock bottom metal and it feeds fine. although I do like Rich's post on the qwikclip from cabelas :)

My first custom was a 7WSM on a Stiller with stock Remington bottom metal, mag, and follower. It feed as smoothly as any 700 or clone I have cycled.

Tikka makes their WSM rifles on a long action but they place a bolt stop so that the bolt moves like its a short action. I built a 270WSM on the tikka action and had a custom barrel throated for the long 160grain Matrix bullet. I changed out the WSM magazine to a long action magazine which allows the bullet to be seated out to gain extra powder capacity. I also had to remove the bolt stop and put in a normal long action stop so that it would cycle the round. The only non-straight forward thing is that I had to use a file to modify the long action magazine so it would accommodate the WSM cartridges. I had some help from my local gun shop on the magazine. Pretty affordable way to get a custom set-up at a semi-custom price.

Everything about this gun turned out the way I expected but I had hoped for better velocity out of the 160 bullet. I could make 3000+fps but accuracy was in the low 2900fps. I found the Matrix bc to be inflated a bit, but still this set-up will do anything I need to do in the long lange realm.

2nd on the wsm /long action/quick klip
20190808_173730.jpg
trifecta... doesn't get much better.

I had My latest 300wsm built on a defiance deviant medium. I haven't had. Luck of problems with is and don't see the point of going to a long action unless you need to save money buy going with a remmy 700la. I had a Stiller tac 30 for a long time in 300 wsm and got along good with it using h4350 and having my Smith use a shorty free bore reamer. You loose some case capacity with the lack of more free bore but with h4350 you don't need the extra capacity and its arguably one of the best performers in the 300wsm.

I'm thumbs up for the shorty's on long action, I built a .300 RSAUM on a long action Rem 700 loved it made more than enough room for the cartridge and literally any bullet combo I wanted to try.

Leupold and Warne .300 RSAUM on M700 005.jpg
Leupold and Warne 004.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.